What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI7gzXz1cHo
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is amazing what survives on the internet. I remembered that Jeff was in the movie, Phantom of the Paradise, when I saw it listed on netflix. It turns out that he played three parts. Sure enough; found part of the movie on YouTube. He is the guy with the dark glasses singing [and passing around the Cheech & Chong joint. :rolleyes:]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd4IxRHlNVQ

At one time he was roommates with Paul Williams, who starred in the movie and was a popular musician back in the 70s. Jeff told me a few stories about his life back then - rich and wild and living the hollywood life. He also told me about some hit songs that were stolen from his locker, but I probably shouldn't say more.

I had never seen the movie [thought I had] so it was kind of cool to see it.
 
Last edited:
I don't think that i can say what is my best song, because after some time it will get boring, but one of my favourite songs is nightwish will smith-men in black :wink:
 
Speaking of Roberta...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHC5B3dqZws
 
White Flag, by Dido.

and the lyrics are amazing...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Theme from Il Postino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh-qb_pYw7Y (guitar and bandoneon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA3yIp3_8Jw (a more orchestral version)
 
Here's one for the old-time computer programmers - reminds me of my days with Fortran. One of my favorite live Stan Rogers songs. No video, but it's a a cute song, from "Between the Breaks". You'll recognize the lead-in and lead-out identifying this number as an out-take from a Dr. Demento program. "You've got an appointment!"

 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bFgxKov8Ts&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bFgxKov8Ts&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Plug in your good headphones for this one.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing about Jeff came to mind that I wanted to mention. He was also buddies with Lorne Michaels, who came to Jeff one day with another one of his wacky ideas about some nightime comedy show that he wanted to do - ultimately called Saturday Night Live. He offered Jeff a part in the original cast, but he was pretty busy at the time so he turned it down.
 
Last edited:
Clair de Lune - Claude Debussy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlvUepMa31o
 
I don't know if anyone picked this one yet since I didn't read all of the 58 previous pages but I think Metallica's cover of "Loverman" is the best.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the 70's there was a band, Mountain. Well, they're still around - after 37 years.
http://www.mountainrockband.com/main.php

Some good tunes. They have a Mountain Radio App on the site. It started with Mountain's Masters of War with Ozzie Osborn.
 
I love Mountain. One of the best trios ever, though it should be acknowledged that Felix Pappalardi laid on a lot of studio contributions. He produced Cream, so it wasn't a stretch to see him guide Mountain through their early offerings.

I absolutely LOVE Corky! Great drummer. One could argue that Bonzo was better, (and I might take that side), but Corky got far less credit than was due.
 
Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9oeBVlm3gw

My favorite song and a good (Jap) movie I watched few months ago (about a girl who grows up and forget her dog) - but above video doesn't flow well along with the song.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Speaking of Roberta...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHC5B3dqZws
Video removed by the user.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
psss... Do not tell astronuc about this video.

just found it.

might be a joke. I loved it. I love Satriani.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6TIq6GwejJE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6TIq6GwejJE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been listening to this version of this song for a few months. Odd to imagine she wrote this when she was in her 20's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tKQSlH-LLTQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tKQSlH-LLTQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think I told Lisab that I wanted this played at my funeral, because it reminded me of me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Fleet Foxes - Mykonos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TbmLkwMHwo

Keller Williams - Best Feeling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHDupqwy-nA
 
B. Elliott said:
Keller Williams - Best Feeling

Ah! Don't get me started on acoustic guitar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdEAccE7BMs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdEAccE7BMs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Unfortunately, I'd never heard of these guys, and missed half their set when they came to the OCF. This song was playing as I approached the main stage.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
Ah! Don't get me started on acoustic guitar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdEAccE7BMs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdEAccE7BMs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Unfortunately, I'd never heard of these guys, and missed half their set when they came to the OCF. This song was playing as I approached the main stage.

A punk band called Toy Dolls does a great version.. if you can stand punk. ;-)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZDB-7osXQ

What Is And What Should Never Be by Led Zeppelin
 
The Yardbirds, "Heart Full of Soul."Early Jimmy Page...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9mQkFpkShg&feature
 
Renaissance - Prologue


Annie Haslam had an incredible vocal range, and I've never heard any other artist reach the high notes like she does.

Annie Haslam - Sounds of the Sea - Renaissance


Renaissance - Ocean Gypsy


My favorite tune by Renaissance is 'Ashes Are Burning' from their live double LP album Live from Carnegie Hall. Jon Camp plays a great bass solo.

Renaissance-Ashes Are Burning part 1 (studio version)
-pt1
- pt2


One of my favorite and more mellow rock pieces (from former Procol Harum members)

Crawler Stone Cold Sober
 
Last edited by a moderator: