What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
FrancisZ said:
The Yardbirds, "Heart Full of Soul."


Early Jimmy Page...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9mQkFpkShg&feature
Jeff Beck who was the last guitarist of the tumultuous Yardbirds can be seen here about 1:12 in. Page was the engineer/bassist in the very last incarnation of the group, and it is unlikely that he would have been featured in a TV spot. Look for a skinny geek.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is probably an acquired taste admittedly but this is Black Winter Day by Amorphis. All of the bands music is based on the Finnish national epic that I can't remember the name of.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Xiva said:
This is probably an acquired taste admittedly but this is Black Winter Day by Amorphis. All of the bands music is based on the Finnish national epic that I can't remember the name of.



Hahaha... the Mjolnir necklace was a nice touch.

I'd have to say that the orginal Black Sabbath album is still my all time favourite. Slayer's Count Down to Extinction is one that I have a hard time not liking still, maybe since they were a part of my high school years.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Its nothing particularly amazing but this is the song that made me love the blues.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/2EHWujXubNM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2EHWujXubNM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
TheStatutoryApe said:
Hahaha... the Mjolnir necklace was a nice touch.

I'd have to say that the orginal Black Sabbath album is still my all time favourite. Slayer's Count Down to Extinction is one that I have a hard time not liking still, maybe since they were a part of my high school years.

you mean Megadeth's? Not bad albums though I agree.
 
Xiva said:
you mean Megadeth's? Not bad albums though I agree.

Ha! See how much I love metal? You are right it is Megadeth.
I also used to really enjoy Type O Negative. Their songs seem so much more cheesy now.
And I still have the soundtrack for The Crow which I think I mentioned earlier in this same thread. Some of those songs are much more hardcore than I am used to but I still love them.
An old member from here that hasn't been around a while now said that in her experience people tend to maintain a preference for music from when they were teenagers. I think to some degree she is right since I don't think I would like Helmet or Rollins Band if I heard them now.

Classic Type O Negative...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/uVaHG_QMvNk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uVaHG_QMvNk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Now I think I like it for how cheesy it is.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
TheStatutoryApe said:
Ha! See how much I love metal? You are right it is Megadeth.
I also used to really enjoy Type O Negative. Their songs seem so much more cheesy now.
And I still have the soundtrack for The Crow which I think I mentioned earlier in this same thread. Some of those songs are much more hardcore than I am used to but I still love them.
An old member from here that hasn't been around a while now said that in her experience people tend to maintain a preference for music from when they were teenagers. I think to some degree she is right since I don't think I would like Helmet or Rollins Band if I heard them now.

Classic Type O Negative...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/uVaHG_QMvNk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uVaHG_QMvNk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Now I think I like it for how cheesy it is.

I'm not a big fan of American/british metal these days (I was in high school). it's too bluesy. I mostly listen to proggy stuff like tool, beatles, and smashing pumpkins, and then there's the aforementioned european metal lol. here's one of my favorite videos. weird in a different way of course;

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Xiva said:
I'm not a big fan of American/british metal these days (I was in high school). it's too bluesy. I mostly listen to proggy stuff like tool, beatles, and smashing pumpkins, and then there's the aforementioned european metal lol. here's one of my favorite videos. weird in a different way of course;



Interesting video. Like a Lynch-Burton collaboration. I didn't much care for the intro music. It sounded like Enya on prozac.

Here's a link to a song with one of my favorite intro's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZlWqVeLzg&feature=related
Embedding disabled by request

Sorry about being able to understand the lyrics.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Strange moods and confusion make the best songs.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mYSjIiWuUzA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mYSjIiWuUzA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ooops. Missed fathers day again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q29YR5-t3gg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q29YR5-t3gg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIqrvUqp7Ok
Classic stuff right there
 
Once in awhile, I find a remix, that reconnects me with my youth.

I used to listen to Napalm Beach, the Wipers, Christian Death, and such.

I guess it's not odd that I very much like this song that I found today.

Does anyone know the name of the genre of this type of music I used to listen to? Labels have always eluded me for some reason. I'm guessing grunge angst non-glitter goth metal rock. But that looks like everything, so I'm guessing that I'm a bit off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oxonqyWgTuE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oxonqyWgTuE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Clocks by coldplay, such smooth, relaxing and reflective music. brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESixOodDWXw

Edit by Ivan: Link fixed
 
Last edited by a moderator:
math_04 said:
Clocks by coldplay, such smooth, relaxing and reflective music. brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESixOodDWXw

I don't see the video..

Some of mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8qj2MzIlJw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM0zSACpMto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Usfy6PP3RI and Enya!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7UVoUW-xw8
 
Last edited by a moderator:
rootX said:
I don't see the video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESixOodDWXw

Fixed :biggrin:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECyAATeNH3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7D65IomNYY



Links fixed by Ivan. Only post the video code and not the entire link. :biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Note to all: If you are posting a YouTube video, only include the video code, and not the entire link, between the YouTube delimiters.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Note to all: If you are posting a YouTube video, only include the video code, and not the entire link, between the YouTube delimiters.

thank you sir!
 
a song for that special someone. I love Armstrong's voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cHsPCAZlP4
 
My friends and I sometimes play guess that song and I could not believe that they did not even recognize Ray Charles voice.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/Thls_tMuFkc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Thls_tMuFkc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx3m4e45bTo

Interesting story behind this song. The violin instrumental was part of an old 60's tune, an instrumental variation of the Rolling Stone's "The Last Time" done by the Andrew Oldham Orchestra in 1966. The Verve had problems with the song.
Allmusic.com said:
Even at their peak, however, the curse of the band's past lingered on, as legal hassles awarded 100 percent of the song's publishing rights to ABKCO Music, which controlled the Stones' back catalog.

The Andrew Oldham Orchestra - The Last Time
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great live performance. Got into a groove and soared off into the stratosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHq4laFwAEM
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ87TSn7RLg

Unfortunately, I can't find "Call me a train" which I like best.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXzg2y6qmAM

Lyrics and the mood are bad but her voice / the music is so beautiful.
 
Borek said:
Unfortunately, I can't find "Call me a train" which I like best.

That's really cool Borek.
Have you ever seen/heard a japanese drum team?
I got to hear one from a local japanese school at my step grandparents anniversary several years ago. They were really amazing.

Here's a good looking video I found...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/Dark883eH3s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dark883eH3s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
drudkh is a fairly new band, but please listen to this:

don't look at the video though
also this:
i like it coz i am such a big metallica fan
is pretty good
agalloch:

forrest stream:
http://www.last.fm/music/Forest+Stream/_/Autumn+Elegy i couldn't find a proper link to it
swallow the sun:

these are new bands and i don't think many have listened to them but they're awesome
 
Last edited by a moderator:
George Jones said:
Great live performance. Got into a groove and soared off into the stratosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHq4laFwAEM

Woah, the lead singer of that band looks like new crazy rapper Joaquin Phoenix.
 
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/oiAuXRK3Ogk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oiAuXRK3Ogk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/glEd8-Klkjs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/glEd8-Klkjs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/vw97oth25Vg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vw97oth25Vg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/2mCoOlUjhlc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2mCoOlUjhlc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/Y4OLQB7ON9w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y4OLQB7ON9w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ten years after - I'd love to change to world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzrUqAtUcpU

Stealers Wheel - Stuck In The Middle With You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy6cqFIljQo

Portishead - Glory Box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnUFhrmk3Os