What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5ntVDsa3BiA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5ntVDsa3BiA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

one who will...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/840B27zYfOk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/840B27zYfOk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

a little
bit restless...


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CZt5Q-u4crc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CZt5Q-u4crc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

...anyhow...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
rewebster, if the whole science thing doesn't work out for you, you should become a DJ. Your choices are great!
 
]Reading this topic, I kind of have to say that I euh, well errrh...

...think that about any person that posted here has a far too limited knowledge of music to decide on the 'best songs ever'...

I mean, almost all songs here are:

A: from the modern era, especially the latter half of the twentieth century
B: western common practice
C: rarely serious or art music
D: only using instruments from the list: guitar, keys, vocals, bass guitar, drums

Now a little diversity never hurts does it:







W-6sklEm2Yo[/youtube] [MEDIA=you.../MEDIA] [MEDIA=youtube]Mvae5Lt0smI[/MEDIA]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Kajahtava said:
Now a little diversity never hurts does it:
It does if it sucks.

I predict that in the next 5 million years, none of your selections will make it onto the billboard top 100,000. Unless of course cats take over the world.
 
OmCheeto said:
It does if it sucks.

I predict that in the next 5 million years, none of your selections will make it onto the billboard top 100,000. Unless of course cats take over the world.
Do you really take yourself that seriously if you confuse popularity with quality that much?

Though, these songs are more lasting than most things posted here, there's a reason it's only from the last 40-odd years what's posted here. Though quality music has a less appeal in a burst, it's appeal stays more over time. No one will be listening to most of today's billboard hits in as little as three years. However Mathäus Passion, though never really popular, has endured for over 300 years with the right audience.

Also, Die Große Fuge that I included, Beethoven had this to say about the audience's inability to see it:

"And why didn't they encore the Fugue? That alone should have been repeated! Cattle! Asses!"

In fact, even critics of those days were dumbstruck by it and at best confused, and at worst blamed it on insanity.

It took more than a century however, it took the invention of the phonograph for people to re-listen and re-listen to it until finally some critics began to see the logic and pattern between what on the surface appears as random chaos and nowadays most critics agree that it is the most ambitious, sophisticated and intricate piece he ever composed. After more than a century though.

Good music takes time to appreciate, to re-listen to it multiple times before one can see it, like complex and brilliant physics, you have to re-read to understand it. Popular music however is designed to be able to be light and to be understood as soon as possible by the people because it's still released on commercial corporations who of course have their first responsibilities to their shareholders. I can't say I blame the, it's a free market, I however can neither say that any of that music meets the label 'one of the best songs of all times', I believe you confuse 'best' with 'most accessible', an altogether different category.
 
Kaj said:
Now a little diversity never hurts does it:
Not sure if I posted this yet but here it is again if I did...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I2eTYu-N6hc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I2eTYu-N6hc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

...so gently in my ear...



the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XBeUF2XWm7c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XBeUF2XWm7c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

...that I used to be



three by Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/voTFNNmjoCU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/voTFNNmjoCU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

...you...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Kajahtava said:
...think that about any person that posted here has a far too limited knowledge of music to decide on the 'best songs ever'...

:rolleyes:
 


Could be I have posted it earlier, I don't remember. But it is still one of the best.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
TheStatutoryApe said:
Not sure if I posted this yet but here it is again if I did...
Not exactly groundbreaking, but an interesting listen and at least not western verse-chorus-verse music.

rootX said:
:rolleyes:
No really mate, the entire thread is solely filled with 60-90's western billboard hits in standard time, almost all's penta/hepta tonic an is invariably {vocals,guitar,bass guitar,keys,drums}. I find it unlikely that 99% of the 'best songs ever' are from the last 40 years, all from the west, all in the same signature and scale, all tonal, and all feature the same instruments.

People here really are too ignorant about the diversity of music out there to decide this.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Kajahtava said:
Not exactly groundbreaking, but an interesting listen and at least not western verse-chorus-verse music.

No really mate, the entire thread is solely filled with 60-90's western billboard hits in standard time, almost all's penta/hepta tonic an is invariably {vocals,guitar,bass guitar,keys,drums}. I find it unlikely that 99% of the 'best songs ever' are from the last 40 years, all from the west, all in the same signature and scale, all tonal, and all feature the same instruments.

People here really are too ignorant about the diversity of music out there to decide this.

1. Pulling something diverse (non-western) wouldn't make it the best
2. Who is to decide what is the best song ever? .. I would trust my ears more than a highly qualified musician to find good music and what's best for me. Music is to enjoy and its quality is subjective to the listener.
 
rootX said:
1. Pulling something diverse (non-western) wouldn't make it the best
I never claimed that it was. I just said that people here are praetentious if they claim to know a song qualifying for 'one of the best' since they're far too ignorant about music to make that claim.

Maybe the best contemporary western pop music, that of course puts less prestige to the title. It are only about 800 songs to select from then.

2. Who is to decide what is the best song ever? .. I would trust my ears more than a highly qualified musician to find good music and what's best for me. Music is to enjoy and its quality is subjective to the listener.
Maybe, but I'm just saying you people know too little for that. Maybe changing to 'the best song I know' is a less praetentious title.
 
Kajahtava said:
I never claimed that it was. I just said that people here are praetentious if they claim to know a song qualifying for 'one of the best' since they're far too ignorant about music to make that claim.

Maybe the best contemporary western pop music, that of course puts less prestige to the title. It are only about 800 songs to select from then.

Maybe, but I'm just saying you people know too little for that. Maybe changing to 'the best song I know' is a less praetentious title.

Yes, had this been a Music forum, which this is not. If you enjoy a song put it here and that's all this thread is about IMO, not about the songs that only musicians find tasteful.
 
Kajahtava said:
Maybe, but I'm just saying you people know too little for that. Maybe changing to 'the best song I know' is a less praetentious title.

well, if you want to be the thread title monitor, there's: 'Threads: 325,907' that you could start double checking whether they're pretentious or not; then make a list.
 
It ain't no use to sit and wonder why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GtkVGClqrT4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GtkVGClqrT4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
VT-SFgkVlno[/youtube] :smile: That's the best song for me that reflects the mood I'm in today!
 
I need some help please. I can't find a good music video of Steve Winwood's song Higher Love. It is the best song ever for me. It saved my life when i thought I was going to die and almost did. Also, it uplifts me. I LOVE IT!
 
Kajahtava said:
Maybe, but I'm just saying you people know too little for that. Maybe changing to 'the best song I know' is a less praetentious title.

Here in GD the rules are a bit more lax. Titles of threads and the claims there in do not necessarily need to reflect any well thought out and substantiated claim.

Essentially the thread is asking for people to tell us what songs they think are best of what they have listened to and the idea perhaps is to expose us all to great music we may not have heard before. If we were being pretentious then we might see some more criticism of the threads content, but we are just sharing. So you are more than welcome to share with us those songs which you think are the greatest of those which you have listened to of what ever provenance and style.
 
TheStatutoryApe said:
Here in GD the rules are a bit more lax. Titles of threads and the claims there in do not necessarily need to reflect any well thought out and substantiated claim.

Essentially the thread is asking for people to tell us what songs they think are best of what they have listened to and the idea perhaps is to expose us all to great music we may not have heard before. If we were being pretentious then we might see some more criticism of the threads content, but we are just sharing. So you are more than welcome to share with us those songs which you think are the greatest of those which you have listened to of what ever provenance and style.
Fair enough, but I've the feeling that many people here truly live in the impression that what's post here has substantial merit from a musical perspective. Also, the majority of songs posted here, any person would (should?) already know.

Any waaaay:

6dwrrLb-uJQ[/youtube] [MEDIA=youtube]mDweyXQMT_I[/MEDIA]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Kajahtava said:
Not exactly groundbreaking, but an interesting listen and at least not western verse-chorus-verse music.

No really mate, the entire thread is solely filled with 60-90's western billboard hits in standard time, almost all's penta/hepta tonic an is invariably {vocals,guitar,bass guitar,keys,drums}. I find it unlikely that 99% of the 'best songs ever' are from the last 40 years, all from the west, all in the same signature and scale, all tonal, and all feature the same instruments.

People here really are too ignorant about the diversity of music out there to decide this.

Hi Kajahtava, I have a lot of friends in the music industry that I've known for years. Music itself has a universal appeal. There isn't a singer or musician I know that doesn't appreciate an audience. Late night jams are meant to be fun. Backstage everyone is humming. It's almost another world. The only thing that keeps music alive is one's love for it and the variety by which a person has the right to choose what they wish to hear at any given time throughout the day. It's the creative urge that brings it to life. This applies to children, radio listeners, concert goes and professionals in the music industry. :smile: Artistic license reserves the right to draw forth it's audience. The most popular songs denote that in the charts. Top 10! Honestly, it's not all about the money. It's a feel good thing that lasts.
 
Last edited:
ViewsofMars said:
Hi Kajahtava, I have a lot of friends in the music industry that I've known for years. Music itself has a universal appeal. There isn't a singer or musician I know that doesn't appreciate an audience.
A first for all then. I would consider a bunch of people who pay money to see me live while it's obviously better on CD just to get a 'feeling of the real thing' a bunch of fools. And if they start screaming instead of shutting their pork hole and paying attention I'll start screaming and singing like crap until they decide to be quiet.

Late night jams are meant to be fun. Backstage everyone is humming. It's almost another world. The only thing that keeps music alive is one's love for it and the variety by which a person has the right to choose what they wish to hear at any given time throughout the day. It's the creative urge that brings it to life. This applies to children, radio listeners, concert goes and professionals in the music industry. :smile:
That's all probably true, but I fail to see any relation to my point here.
 
You appear to me that you only wish to be argumentative with me and others on this thread and read far too much into what is written. I'm really hear to listen and enjoy the tunes. I was only attempting to be courteous to you by engaging in a small dialogue. You seem to be bitter. Enjoy the music! I will pick out the songs I like.
 
Saw these guys in concert a few months ago. They still rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Env5iMrBjws

It's never going to die, never going to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx2etzS4Y7Q

Here's a girl that knows what music is about. Lame crowd though :zzz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Jjm1jzIig

They've all been active in music for over 30 years. They still sell out auditoriums to new generations of fans. Grandmothers and their grandchildren can all rock out to some awesome music together. These bands will be around in another 300 years too. That isn't what makes them great though. Nor is it the instruments they play, or the meter they use, or any of the other stuff that I'm ignorant of. Great music moves people in ways that they'll never forget.
 
There is a little advertisement at the beginning of this music video but it moves onto what I consider the beauty that unfolds when artists from around the world gather together to give it their very best by helping people in need. "WE ARE THE WORLD. WE ARE THE CHILDREN." I LOVE IT!
We Are The World 25 For Haiti - Official [Music]Video
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And of course the musical taste of each individual evolves from the simple, to the complex, to the familiar over time.

If it were not so, this would still be my pick for the best song of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f4rG5nB7wB0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f4rG5nB7wB0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cigarette trees?! I don't remember that part?

-------------------------
5 year old Om; "Mommy, is there really a mountain made of candy?"
Mamma Om; "Doch nein, du faule misgebort. Um. Why yes! But only if you brush your teeth"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ViewsofMars said:
I need some help please. I can't find a good music video of Steve Winwood's song Higher Love. It is the best song ever for me. It saved my life when i thought I was going to die and almost did. Also, it uplifts me. I LOVE IT!

I have the same problem. So much great music. So little to be found and stolen off the net.

I did finally find one I've been looking for today. Unfortunately, you have to go to their website and download it. Fortunately it's free, and top quality. I had never heard of this group so was quite upset that I missed half their show when I walked up to the main stage at the OCF and heard the following song playing.

http://cgtrio.com/cgi/viewaudvid.paw?33"

Needless to say, I am now a fan.
 
Last edited by a moderator: