What is the best source for this star data? (M44 Beehive Cluster)

In summary: However, I'm still having trouble determining which stars are in the cluster and which ones are just chance associations. I have included a screenshot of my dataframe to help you with that.In summary, you can query Simbad for astrometric and photometric data for most objects in the designated area. However, derived parameters (like absolute magnitude and spectral type) are not likely to be listed. If you are unfamiliar with these tools, there is a learning curve to surmount. There are about 25 bright stars in the cluster, but detailed information on those can be found online. You can query Simbad directly using Python or the web interface.
terado
TL;DR Summary
what's the easiest way to get this star data?
Hi

I need the below data for the thousand or so stars in M44 the Beehive Cluster. What would be the easiest way to get this data?

Thank you.

RA, Dec, distance, apparent magnitude, absolute magnitude, spectrum

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Have you tried/are you familiar with astronomical databases? Simbad, Aladin, VizieR, Gaia Archive?
You can query them for raw astrometric and photometric data, but derived parameters are harder to come by. So you should be able to get RA, dec, apparent magnitudes in different bands - parallax (i.e. distance) probably best if you go to Gaia - for most objects in the designated area. But absolute magnitude and spectral type are unlikely to be listed. You can calculate the former from distance and apparent magnitude, though.

If you've never used these before, there's something of a learning curve to surmount. Look in their help sections, maybe search for some tutorials on youtube.

• Informative
Likes terado and berkeman
I would start with Stellarium, which is a free download (https://stellarium.org/). You just click on the stars you are interested in, and you will get everything you listed except the spectrum, although you will get the spectral type. I'm attaching a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 5.53.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 5.53.59 PM.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
phyzguy said:
I would star with Stellarium
A bit tedious if one wants to do it for ~1k objects.

Even Wikipedia has all of that information, except spectrum. To be honest, I don't know what "the" spectrum from 1000 sources even means. You might find B-V, or the spectrum of some characteristic stars, but I think you will need to ponder what it is you want.

You might try the Sloan Digital Sky Survey

They provide a number of increasingly recent data sets which include spectra of over 4 million astronomical objects.

Bandersnatch said:
Have you tried/are you familiar with astronomical databases? Simbad, Aladin, VizieR, Gaia Archive?
You can query them for raw astrometric and photometric data, but derived parameters are harder to come by. So you should be able to get RA, dec, apparent magnitudes in different bands - parallax (i.e. distance) probably best if you go to Gaia - for most objects in the designated area. But absolute magnitude and spectral type are unlikely to be listed. You can calculate the former from distance and apparent magnitude, though.

If you've never used these before, there's something of a learning curve to surmount. Look in their help sections, maybe search for some tutorials on youtube.

Thanks.
That learning curve is exactly the reason I'm asking here!!
I did find those databases (except for the Gaia Archive) but couldn't work out how to submit a simple query like "M44 and all its 'children' stars" or "all stars within x parsecs of the centre of M44". I also had trouble finding decent tutorials.

There are about 25 bright stars in the cluster. I've found detailed information on those. All I really need for the rest is RA, Dec and distance.

Hyperfine said:
You might try the Sloan Digital Sky Survey

They provide a number of increasingly recent data sets which include spectra of over 4 million astronomical objects.
I tried that, but many of the stars are too bright to be included.

I just query Simbad using Python. The code snippet below should give you what you want. It returned 2162 items. It's going to be up to you to determine which ones are actually physical members of the Beehive cluster and which ones are chance associations.

Python:
import numpy as np
from astroquery.simbad import Simbad
import astropy.units as u
result_table = Simbad.query_region("m44", radius=0.8 * u.deg)
print(result_table)

Likes terado
phyzguy said:
I just query Simbad using Python. The code snippet below should give you what you want. It returned 2162 items. It's going to be up to you to determine which ones are actually physical members of the Beehive cluster and which ones are chance associations.

Python:
import numpy as np
from astroquery.simbad import Simbad
import astropy.units as u
result_table = Simbad.query_region("m44", radius=0.8 * u.deg)
print(result_table)
Thank you!
I have never used Python or Astroquery before. Just to check .. there is no online method and I have to install Astroquery to be ably to query in this way?

If you haven't used Python, it's probably best to query Simbad directly from the web interface. Below is a screen shot of the query. It's the same basic syntax and returned the same list of 2162 objects.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 8.54.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 8.54.25 AM.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 72
Likes terado
phyzguy said:
If you haven't used Python, it's probably best to query Simbad directly from the web interface. Below is a screen shot of the query. It's the same basic syntax and returned the same list of 2162 objects.
Thank you!
That got me the data.

Likes phyzguy

1. What is the M44 Beehive Cluster?

The M44 Beehive Cluster, also known as Praesepe, is an open star cluster located in the constellation of Cancer. It is one of the nearest and brightest star clusters to Earth, making it a popular target for astronomers.

2. Why is it important to find the best source for star data on the M44 Beehive Cluster?

Having accurate and reliable data on the M44 Beehive Cluster is crucial for scientific research and understanding of this celestial object. It can also aid in the study of the formation and evolution of star clusters.

3. What makes a source the "best" for star data on the M44 Beehive Cluster?

The best source for star data on the M44 Beehive Cluster would be one that provides accurate, up-to-date information from reputable sources such as observatories, space agencies, or scientific journals. It should also have a user-friendly interface and allow for easy access to the data.

4. Where can I find the best source for star data on the M44 Beehive Cluster?

There are several reliable sources for star data on the M44 Beehive Cluster, such as the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) website, the European Space Agency (ESA) website, and astronomical databases like the SIMBAD Astronomical Database.

5. Can I access the best source for star data on the M44 Beehive Cluster for free?

Yes, many reputable sources for star data on the M44 Beehive Cluster offer free access to their databases. However, some may require a subscription or membership for more in-depth data and features.