What is the change in entropy when mixing water and alcohol?

  • Thread starter Thread starter huybinhs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Change Entropy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
huybinhs
Messages
229
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



0.5 kg of water at a temperature of 5.6 oC is mixed with 1.3 kg of alcohol at 65.9 oC. They come to equilibrium. What is the change in entropy (in J/K) of the system when the two liquids are mixed?

Hint:
The specific heat capacity for water is 1 kcal/kgoC = 4186 J/(kgoC), and for alcohol it is 0.58 kcal/kgoC = 2430 J/kgoC.

2. The attempt at a solution

I calculate Tf = [m1c1T1+m2c2T2] / [(m1c1) + (m2c2)] = 41.87*C

then Delta S = m1c1 ln(Tf/T1) + m2c2 ln (Tf/T2) = 2778 J/C

Then I convert to J/K which is divide it by 274.15 = 10.13 J/K = INCORRECT!

This is a messy problem. Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try Cp(water)=4.186 J/g-k and Cp(alcohol)=2.4 J/g-K. Convert temperatures to K and mass to grams. I assume your equations are accurate and the problem is related to units.
 
RTW69 said:
Try Cp(water)=4.186 J/g-k and Cp(alcohol)=2.4 J/g-K. Convert temperatures to K and mass to grams. I assume your equations are accurate and the problem is related to units.

Should I take 1 C = 274.15 K or 273 K?