What is the Coefficient of Friction for a Lab Using Spring Scales?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
timsmith98
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I'm having trouble finding the coefficient of kinetic friction for a lab using spring scales.
Mass=.411kg
Normal Force=4.0278
Average Pull Force=.46N
Frictional Force= -.46N

Homework Equations


μ k = Fk / N.

The Attempt at a Solution


μ k = -.46N/4.0278
μ k = -.1142
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not entirely sure what the variable in the last part meant, it may be better if you could use subscripts to distinguish the terms. What I can say is that the coefficient of friction--μ is equal to the quotient of Friction force and normal force. So:

(Force of friction)/(Normal force) = μ

Have fun with the lab.
 
The coefficient of friction isn't going to be negative. That's just due to the direction that you defined as +ve.