What is the Force of Kinetic Friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 10 kg box moving on a level floor with a coefficient of static friction of 0.3. The question is to determine the force of kinetic friction. Through the use of the formula fk = FN * μk, it is determined that the normal force (FN) must equal the weight of the box (mg) and the force of kinetic friction is calculated to be 29 N.
JustynSC

Homework Statement

a 10 kg box is moving on a level floor. The coefficient of static friction between the box and floor is 0.3. What is the force of kinetic friction?

Homework Equations

fk = FN * μk

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged the formula so that everything was set equal to the normal force, but I'm convinced that there is information missing to solving this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me that everything you need is in the problem statement. Use the formula that you quoted to calculate the friction force. What is the normal force in this situation?

There is no normal force given. I have no knowledge on how many Newtons are being acted on the 10kg box. Is it required to have an FN given to solve that equation? Otherwise I only have one known variable, the 0.3 constant for static friction. I solved that the FN required to overcome static friction must be: FN>49N. But that is a separate problem that does not state that same force was used in this question. Besides if the the box were pushed at 98N would that change the Fk?

JustynSC said:
There is no normal force given. I have no knowledge on how many Newtons are being acted on the 10kg box.
The normal force is easy to calculate from the given information. Hint: What forces act on the box?

At rest the box is acted on by Earth's gravity (9.8 m/s2) multiplied by the mass of the box (10kg)and lastly the static friction constant between the two surfaces (0.3) . So the Normal force is in the perpendicular to the surface the box is on. FN= 49 Newtons. But that is fs max, a threshold that once overcome will cause the box to move. So an additional force pushing parallel to the horizontal surface could be as little as 49.00000000001N or les as long as it is greater than 49. Otherwise the box will remain at rest?

JustynSC said:
At rest the box is acted on by Earth's gravity (9.8 m/s2) multiplied by the mass of the box (10kg)
Right! That's a downward force acting on the box. The normal force is the upward force from the surface that supports the box. What must that normal force equal?

(Forget all the other stuff for the moment. Just get this problem solved.)

(FN=ma=10kg * 9.8m/s2)
So then, FN =98N ?

P.S I am taking physics in college, but have had to teach myself because the professor does not do a great job at explain the reasoning behind the concepts. And his English is pretty limited, so there is a severe language barrier. So, sorry if I am missing something big here, or something obvious for that matter.

JustynSC said:
(FN=ma=10kg * 9.8m/s2)
So then, FN =98N ?
You got it.

The normal force must equal the weight of the box (otherwise the box would have a vertical acceleration). Thus FN = mg.

Now just apply the formula you already know for kinetic friction and you're done.

Okay just to check my answer:
fk=FN * μk
Therefore: fk=98 N * 0.3μ
Answer: fk= 29 N

Looks good to me!

Awesome. Thank you for working that through without just telling me the answer. I think I actually understand the concept of how friction effects an object now.

JustynSC said:
Awesome. Thank you for working that through without just telling me the answer. I think I actually understand the concept of how friction effects an object now.
Excellent. :thumbup: That's what we try to do here.

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the resistance force that occurs when two objects are in motion and in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities of the surfaces of the objects, which create a force that opposes the direction of motion.

2. What factors affect the force of kinetic friction?

The force of kinetic friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the normal force (or weight) of the objects, and the speed at which the objects are moving.

3. How is the force of kinetic friction calculated?

The force of kinetic friction can be calculated using the formula Fk = μkN, where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force. The coefficient of kinetic friction is a constant that depends on the materials of the surfaces in contact.

4. What is the difference between kinetic and static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when two objects are in motion and in contact with each other, while static friction occurs when two objects are at rest and in contact with each other. The force of static friction is typically greater than the force of kinetic friction.

5. How can the force of kinetic friction be reduced?

The force of kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. Additionally, using smoother or more slippery materials for the surfaces can also reduce the force of kinetic friction.