What is the coherence length and coherence time of the filtered light?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
warfreak131
Messages
186
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A filter is used to obtain approximately monochromatic light from a white sources. If the pass band of the filter is 10 nm, what is the coherence length and coherence time of the filtered light? The mean wavelength is 600 nm.

Homework Equations



[tex]c\tau_{0}=l_{c}[/tex]
[tex]<\tau_{0}>=\frac{1}{\Delta\nu}[/tex]
[tex]l_{c}=\frac{c}{\Delta\nu}=\frac{\lambda^{2}}{\Delta\lambda}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



The problem gives me the wavelengths, so I would star by using the third equation. However, I don't understand the book's description of D lambda, the spectral width, and I'm not sure which wavelength to use, 600 nm or 10 nm,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's not advanced physics. Still, I think that [tex]\lambda = 600 \tex{ nm}[/tex], and [tex]\Delta\lambda = 10 \tex{ nm}[/tex].