What is the Connection Between Excited Atoms and Diffraction?

• Thread starter scilover89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, diffraction effects occur when waves travel through a small hole or slid. They diffract, or spread out, and their intensity varies depending on the size and spacing of the holes. This is because interference between waves occurs, and the width of the slit doesn't affect the diffraction. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is responsible for the diffraction effects.
Zz

I was thinking of a single hydrogen atom being excited 1 level past ground state, producing 1 monochromatic photon. (I realize the difficulty here, hence "IF" in the question.)

I wonder what the relationship, if any, with this aproach, would the wavelength and the slit width have on the diffraction, if any.

TRoc

Physics news on Phys.org
T.Roc said:
Zz

I was thinking of a single hydrogen atom being excited 1 level past ground state, producing 1 monochromatic photon. (I realize the difficulty here, hence "IF" in the question.)

I wonder what the relationship, if any, with this aproach, would the wavelength and the slit width have on the diffraction, if any.

TRoc

And I will have to repeat my puzzlement from before. Why would you want to do this? Why aren't you satisfied with using, for example, a simple He-Ne laser?

You do know, of course, that a SINGLE transition producing a SINGLE photon, will not produce a diffraction pattern on anything. A diffraction pattern (and interference pattern) only occurs after a gazillion photons hit a detector or a screen.

Zz.

T.Roc said:
Zz

TRoc

I understand T.Roc's pain. He hasn't yet figured out that a single quantum
behaves exactly the same way as the many others coming from a HeNe laser.

The single Photon interferes with ITSELF and diffraction is inevitable.
Maxwell's equations correctly describe the photon's diffraction through the slits
and QM per se is not necessary to analyze the diffraction.