What is the conventional over drill size for a 0.05 pin on a PCB?

  • Thread starter Thread starter yungman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Drill Hole Pcb
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
yungman
Messages
5,741
Reaction score
291
I am laying out pcb and I want to confirm about the over drill size for a pin. The pin is 0.05". I forgot what is the conventional over size drill. Is it 0.06"? Or 0.065 to be safe?

Thanks

Alan
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Some of it depends on if you're using PTH or not. I was always told to give an extra 5mils for plating on top of a standard 10 mils over the max diameter of the lead per the data sheet. It has served me well.

To answer your question, I'd use 65 mils as the basis and then round up to the nearest standard drill size. The board house will generally do that for you though if you just spec 65 mils.
 
For a lead Ø=1.30mm, we use a finished hole of Ø=1.50mm and mounting/inner lands of Ø=2.25mm.

Unless you're plating your holes yourself, I don't think you have to worry about increasing the diameter to make room for plating. The board house will drill the (plated) through-holes with a larger Ø than what you specify in your drill file in order to leave room for plating.
 


The conventional over drill size for a 0.05 pin on a PCB is typically 0.06 inches. This allows for a small amount of extra space to ensure the pin fits securely without causing any damage to the surrounding components or the board itself. However, if you want to be on the safe side, a slightly larger over drill size of 0.065 inches can also be used. It is always important to carefully consider the specific requirements and tolerances of your PCB design before determining the appropriate over drill size.