What is the correct electric potential of a rod?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Jalo
Messages
117
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Here's the problem:

pmyig.png



Homework Equations



V = ke ∫ dq/r
V is the electric potential, ke Coulomb's constant, q the charge and d the distance.

λ = q / L , where λ is the charge density, q the charge and L the length of the rod.

The Attempt at a Solution



I have one solution for the problem. What I want to know is why is my answer incorrect.
Since electric potential is a scalar and not a potential what I calculated was the electric potential produced by the left part of the rod, from 0 to L/2, and multiplied the resulted for two due to the symmetry of the problem (I thought that the electric potential produced by the rod from L/2 to L was the same as from 0 to L/2)

q = λ*L ⇔ dq = λ*dx ⇔ dq = α*x*dx

V = 2*ke*α ∫0L/2 x/sqrt(x²+b²) dx

I solved the integral and got:

V = 2*α*ke*[ sqrt( (L/2)² + b² ) - b ]

It is incorrect tho.
Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jalo said:

Homework Statement



Here's the problem:

pmyig.png

Homework Equations



V = ke ∫ dq/r
V is the electric potential, ke Coulomb's constant, q the charge and d the distance.

λ = q / L , where λ is the charge density, q the charge and L the length of the rod.

The Attempt at a Solution



I have one solution for the problem. What I want to know is why is my answer incorrect.
Since electric potential is a scalar and not a potential what I calculated was the electric potential produced by the left part of the rod, from 0 to L/2, and multiplied the resulted for two due to the symmetry of the problem (I thought that the electric potential produced by the rod from L/2 to L was the same as from 0 to L/2)

q = λ*L ⇔ dq = λ*dx ⇔ dq = α*x*dx

V = 2*ke*α ∫0L/2 x/sqrt(x²+b²) dx

I solved the integral and got:

V = 2*α*ke*[ sqrt( (L/2)² + b² ) - b ]

It is incorrect tho.
Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Read the problem text: λ=αx, the left end of the rod is at x=0. There is no symmetry.

ehild