What Is the Correct Ground State Energy of a Neutron in a Box?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
wayneinsane
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The particle in a box model is often used to make rough estimates of ground state energies. Suppose that you have a neutron confined to a one-dimensional box of length equal say 1 x 10^-14m. What is the ground state energy of the confined neutron?

answer in MeV?



Homework Equations



En = h^2/8mL^2



The Attempt at a Solution



I am getting the wrong answer... I am getting:

(6.626e-34)^2/((8)(1.675e-27)(1e-14)^2) = 3.28e-13

That is wrong... anyone?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the actual answer? Are you expressing it in MeV?
 
I don't have the answer, I have to submit electronically and I am getting it wrong.

I'm not sure actually...that was my issue...maybe I am not converting to MeV. Any ideas?
 
Remember, Planck's constant that you applied is in J*S. Thus your units is in joules. Convert your answer to MeV :)
 
Well, I multiplied my answer by 6.24e12 because 1J = 6.24e12MeV, and I got 2.05, that is still wrong.