What Is the Correct Integrating Factor for the Equation ay dx + bx dy = 0?

  • Thread starter Thread starter @m@
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
@m@
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
EXACT equation !

hi! to all
I want little help about exact equation..
that the given equation is
>> ay dx + bx dy= 0
I had solved and found integrating factor of all of my equations by formula
P(x) = My-Nx/N
but for this equation I have got IF for this equation is x((a-b)/b) and after multiplying this factor by equation I can't get exact equation once again :mad:
and in book answers IF for this equation is x^a-1.y^b-1
So., can anyone tell me how can I solve this eq by method of inspection >>
pleasezz help me!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


In order to determine what the integrating factor is you must first normalize the equation.
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+P(x)y=f(x)[/tex]
is an example of a normalized differential equation, the IF being
[tex]e^{\int P(x)dx}[/tex].

Does this help?