What is the correct integration of arcsin(x) using integration by parts?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Charismaztex
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
Charismaztex
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Hello all,

I've solved this equation to get:

[tex] \int \arcsin{(x)}dx = \sqrt{1-x^2}+ x\arcsin{(x}) + C[/tex]

using integration by parts. I have found, however, that my textbook has
the part

[tex]-\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

instead of a +, leaving the answer

[tex] \int \arcsin{(x)}dx = -\sqrt{1-x^2}+ x\arcsin{(x}) + C[/tex]

This minus sign has been confirmed by a website I came across
Code:
[PLAIN]http://math2.org/math/integrals/tableof.htm
[/PLAIN]
Elsewhere on this forum I've seen the answer with the plus sign:
Code:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=89216
giving rise to this
inconsistency.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance,
Charismaztex
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, that's what I calculated but my calculator and textbook says otherwise...
 
It depends on which interval arcsine maps [-1,1] onto.

Conventionally, arcsine maps this interval onto [itex]-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

In this case, we have [tex]\frac{d}{dx}arcsine(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/tex], and it follows that the anti-derivative will use the +sign
 
You may wonder where the range of "arcsin" comes into play. Remember that

[tex]\frac{d \mbox{arcsin} x}{dx} = \pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex], because

in the computation of this derivative you meet a point where

[tex]\sin x = p \Rightarrow \cos x = \pm \sqrt{1-p^2}[/tex].

To remove the sign ambiguity, you have to choose an appropriate interval either for the domain or for the range of the functions involved.
 
Thanks for the replies arildno and bigubau.

@Bigubau, so do you mean this step when differentiating arcsin(x):

let [tex]y= arcsin(x) , sin(y)=x[/tex] and

differentiating [tex]sin(y)= x[/tex],

[tex]cos(y) \frac{dy}{dx} =1[/tex]

=> [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{cos(y)}=*\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-sin^2(y)}}=*\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

* where it should be [tex]cos(y)= \pm\sqrt{1-sin^2(y)}=\pm\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

When I integrate arcsin(x) using integration by parts, I get

[tex]xarcsin(x) - \int \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx[/tex]

so it comes out with the positive [tex]+\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

Is there another method to integrate the last part? Apparently, when I calculate a definite integral, it's got to be either plus or minus and my calculator and textbook demands the minus. For example they both give

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} arcsin(x) = \frac{\pi}{2}-1[/tex]



Thanks for the support,
Charismaztex