What is the current flowing through the aluminum rod on tilted conducting rails?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
StudentofPhysics
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
The two conducting rails in the drawing are tilted upwards so they make an angle of 30.0° with respect to the ground. The vertical magnetic field has a magnitude of 0.055 T. The 0.22 kg aluminum rod (length = 1.6 m) slides without friction down the rails at a constant velocity. How much current flows through the bar?
p21-35.gif



I know the formula to use is Fb = ILBsin0

What isn't given plainly is the Magnetic force. I tried to use F= m x a to find this force, but there is no acceleration. I tried plugging in 1, giving the F a value of .22kg and that didn't work. Then I tried dividing it by two since there are two rails, still didn't work.

What am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org