Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the current status of susy and string theory?

1. Oct 24, 2015 #1
    I heard that the LHC was supposed to do some testing on supersymmetry but i didn't hear anything from them and is string theory still possible or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

String theory is out of the energy reach of the LHC.
    It does test supersymmetry. So far, no supersymmetric particles have been found (it would be impossible to miss that), so the exclusion limits were improved. We now know better where supersymmetry is not.

4. Oct 26, 2015 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

@mfb but does the LHC can confirm or disprove supersymmetry?

5. Oct 26, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

It has a chance to confirm it, if supersymmetry exists and if the scale is not too high.

It can disprove specific models and parameter ranges, but not all possible models of supersymmetry everywhere. On the other hand, if the LHC does not find supersymmetry, many of the theoretical advantages of supersymmetry go away. It loses significant motivation then.

6. Oct 26, 2015 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

What are the theoretical advantages and what is the 'significant motivation'?
    I wonder if it's to my interest to learn supersymmetry and supergravity, obvoiously as a mathematical theory there's no harm in learning it, but from the physical ground, if the LHC doesn't find supersymmetry is it still worthwhile to learn?

7. Oct 26, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Depends on who you ask. There is still a lot of interest in it, but if we don't find something in the next 5 years more and more groups will look for other things I guess.

Precision experiments at lower energy can extend the searches beyond the energy reach of the LHC for some models.

Supersymmetry with particle masses of the order of 1 TeV reduces the required fine-tuning of the Higgs mass and makes a unification of the strong interaction with the electroweak interaction more plausible. It also offers a natural candidate for dark matter. All those arguments get weaker if the particle masses are around 10 TeV or even higher.

8. Oct 26, 2015 #7
    is it true electron EDM measurements means LHC most likely will not see SUSY?

9. Oct 26, 2015 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Jester covered it. "Most likely" depends on your prior expectation for SUSY parameters. In particular, if you don't expect large CP violation, it does not exclude anything.

10. Oct 26, 2015 #9
    ok i'll read it.

if LHC doesn't find any SUSY how will that affect string theory research and LQG?

11. Oct 27, 2015 #10
    I was under the impression that the next run of LHC was about to delve into some of the lower limits of predictions made by string theory? I've heard that the next run is above the lower energy limits of creating a micro black hole depending on the number of dimensions?

12. Oct 27, 2015 #11

mfb

2016 Award

For some models with tiny extradimensions, it can be possible to test them. For others, it is not. That was true in run 1 as well.
    That does not exclude string theory, the extra dimensions could be too small, or the interactions could behave differently in those extra dimensions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook