What is the deceleration of the vehicle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Kev1n
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
1. I am looking to verify my calculation. Question A vehicle of mass 5Tonnes is traveling with a velocity of 80kmh-1 if it needs to stop within a dstnace of 0.5 km using a constant braking force what is the deceleration of the vehicle



2. V^2 = 2xSxA, A=V^2 / 2S



3. A=V^2/2s
80kmn = 22.222ms
A=22.222^2/2x500
A=493.8/1000
A=0.494
Deceleration = - 0.494
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Redbelly98 said:
Looks good :smile:

Welcome to PF.

appreciated thanks
 


Redbelly98 said:
Looks good :smile:

Welcome to PF.


IET (BK) - 0 new messages

new topic : profile : search : help : dashboard : home

Latest News: Conditions of use updated; signatures and other forum hints and tips
Private Messages Buddies Categories: SelectAsk the Chief Executive=== Technical discussions ===Wiring and the regulationsCommunicationsConsumer technologyControl and automationElectronic engineeringInformation technologyInnovations and emerging technologiesManagementManufacturingPowerTransportGeneral professional and technical=== General and career discussions ===FeedbackCEng, IEng, EngTech and other professional registration mattersSavoy Place Virtual ClubStudent and apprentice discussion forum=== Archived categories ===New Institution

latest topics : statistics

IET » Student and apprentice discussion forum » Calculation check Topic Title: Calculation check
Topic Summary: Deceleration
Created On: 18 October 2009 06:11 PM
Status: Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch

Search Topic
Keyword


Topic Tools
Quick Reply
Subscribe to this topic
E-mail this topic
Bookmark this topic
View similar topics
Print this topic.


18 October 2009 06:11 PM


BK

Posts: 11
Joined: 28 September 2009

Can anyone give this the once over make sure I have the formula calcs etc right

Vehicle mass 5 Tonnes traveling with a velocity 80kmh. It needs to stop with in 0.5km using constant braking force

Deceleration:
(80kmh = 80x1000/3600 = 22.2m/s)

a=(v^2-u^2) / 2s
a=(0-22.2^2)/2x500
a=(493.83)/1000
a= 0.494ms
as Deceleration = -0.49

Just want to check I am on the right line
Report this to a Moderator
Reply : Quote : Top : Bottom : Edit : Delete

19 October 2009 01:45 PM


tonysung

Posts: 579
Joined: 14 September 2001

It's a very good start. Perhaps you could add a few explanatory notes to your working so it can be checked properly.

E.g., "Deceleration80kmh = 80x1000/3600 = 22.2m/s)" should be 'velocity' or 'speed' in m/s.

Please have another go.

Kind regards

-------------------------
tony sung
Report this to a Moderator
Reply : Quote : Top : Bottom

19 October 2009 07:11 PM


BK

Posts: 11
Joined: 28 September 2009

Apologies that should have been Velocity 22.2ms

My concern is whilst working out time taken

V/A=T, 22.2/0.4938 = 45s

I checked using a Velocity, Time distance calculator on the net and it calculates 22.5s

Therefore was I correct in using 2s in my initial calculation, it appears to be correct when I transformed the formula
 


Kev1n said:
My concern is whilst working out time taken

V/A=T, 22.2/0.4938 = 45s

I checked using a Velocity, Time distance calculator on the net and it calculates 22.5s

Therefore was I correct in using 2s in my initial calculation, it appears to be correct when I transformed the formula

Yes, 2s was correct since the equation is

v2 = 2 s a​

22.5 sec would be the time to go 500 m at a constant velocity (no deceleration) of 22.2 m/s. But in that case the vehicle would not come to a stop, as stated in the problem.