What is the Definition of Continuity in Minkowski Space?

In summary, the continuity of a map Τ:M→M, where M is a Minkowski space, can be defined using the canonical Euclidean topology of ##\mathbb{R}^{4}##. This topology is generated by the open balls of the Euclidean metric and is consistent with the definition of Minkowski space as a 4-D real vector space with a symmetric, bilinear, non-degenerate quadratic form. Other topologies can also be defined on Minkowski space, but the canonical topology is the most commonly used.
cosmic dust
How "continuity" of a map Τ:M→M, where M is a Minkowski space, can be defined? Obviously I cannot use the "metric" induced by the minkowskian product:
x[itex]\cdot[/itex]y = -x[itex]^{0}[/itex]y[itex]^{0}[/itex]+x[itex]^{i}[/itex]y[itex]^{i}[/itex]
for the definition of coninuity; it is a misinformer about the proximity of points. Should I use the Euclidean metric instead?

Thank's...

Physics news on Phys.org
Minkowski space-time is just ##\mathbb{R}^{4}## with the canonical Euclidean topology. Continuity of endomorphisms of Minkowski space-time is with respect to this topology.

Likes 1 person
I took the wikipedia's definition of Minkowski space: a 4-D real vector space with a symmetric, bilinear, non-degenerate quadratic form with signature (1,3). From this point of view, can a consistent metric induced by that quadratic form? If not, then according to your comment, I will have to make use and of the Eucliden norm on that vector space, in order to define continuity.

Right?

cosmic dust said:
I took the wikipedia's definition of Minkowski space: a 4-D real vector space with a symmetric, bilinear, non-degenerate quadratic form with signature (1,3). From this point of view, can a consistent metric induced by that quadratic form? If not, then according to your comment, I will have to make use and of the Eucliden norm on that vector space, in order to define continuity.
I've never seen pseudo-Riemannian metric tensors on vector spaces being used to induce a topology on the vector space but that's not to say that it isn't defined (you can define it in the same way). The canonical topology on Minkowski space-time would just be that generated by the base of open balls of the Euclidean metric yes. There are other topologies you can endow as well of course and they don't have to stem from a metric.

Likes 1 person
The beautiful \(\displaystyle book "The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime: An Introduction to the Mathematics of the Special Theory of Relativity" by Naber has an appendix that discusses topology for Minkowski spacetime.\)

1. What is Minkowski space?

Minkowski space is a mathematical concept used in the theory of relativity to describe the four-dimensional spacetime in which physical events occur. It is named after the mathematician Hermann Minkowski and is represented by four coordinates: three for space (x, y, z) and one for time (t).

2. What is continuity in Minkowski space?

Continuity in Minkowski space refers to the smooth and unbroken nature of spacetime. It means that there are no sudden changes or breaks in the fabric of spacetime, and that all physical events can be described as a continuous and uninterrupted flow in four-dimensional space.

3. How is continuity in Minkowski space related to the theory of relativity?

The concept of continuity in Minkowski space is closely related to the theory of relativity, as it is a fundamental principle in understanding the behavior of objects and events in a four-dimensional spacetime. The theory of relativity explains how space and time are interconnected and how they can be distorted by the presence of mass and energy, while continuity in Minkowski space ensures that these distortions do not lead to any discontinuities or paradoxes.

4. Why is continuity in Minkowski space important?

Continuity in Minkowski space is important because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of objects and events in the universe. It forms the basis of the theory of relativity and helps us understand the fundamental laws of physics, such as the principle of causality, which states that every event has a cause and effect relationship. Without continuity in Minkowski space, our understanding of the universe would be incomplete and inconsistent.

5. Can continuity in Minkowski space be broken?

According to the theory of relativity, continuity in Minkowski space cannot be broken. However, it is possible for spacetime to be distorted or curved by the presence of mass and energy. This distortion may seem like a break in the fabric of spacetime, but it is actually a natural consequence of the theory of relativity and does not violate the principle of continuity.