Hyperbolic Geom of Minkowski Space: Chung et al. 2009

In summary: This "area" (as opposed to "arc[length]") viewpoint of angles (I'll still call it that) at the level of the inverse-function has been growing on me.
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Is the treatment of the geometry of Minkowski space as in the cited article (angle ϑ between inertial frames ϑ=tanh(v/c) with relative velocity v/c, inner product for timelike vectors as |A|*|B|*cosh(ϑ), etc.) one of the standard treatments?
In "The Geometry of Minkowski Space in Terms of Hyperbolic Angles" by Chung, L'yi, & Chung in the Journal of the Korean Physical Society, Vol. 55, No. 6, December 2009, pp. 2323-2327 , the authors define an angle ϑ between the respective inertial planes of two observers in Minkowski space with a relative velocity of v (with c=1) as arctanh(v), and inner products of vectors denoting events by using this angle : for timelike vectors A and B, denoting |A| and |B| as the corresponding spacetime intervals (+ - - -) , the inner product is |A|*|B|*cosh(ϑ), for spacelike ones the same but negative, and between a spacelike and a timelike vector with a similar expression. (This vaguely reminds me of the discussion of rapidity in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapidity, but I'm not sure if that is relevant.) My question is, assuming I have presented it correctly, whether this treatment is one of (albeit not the only) the standard treatments of a geometry in Minkowski space, or whether it is just a curiosity, or whether it is flawed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the paper, which I would not link here due to Copyright, is overcomplicating standard things. If you have a time-like vector in the Minkowski plane you can parametrize it with a parameter (I'd not call it angle for pedagogical reasons, because it's hard enough for students to forget about Euclidean geometry when looking at a Minkowski diagram) as
$$a=A (\cosh \eta,\sinh \eta) \; \Rightarrow \; a \cdot a=A^2 (\cosh^2 \eta - \sinh^2 \eta),$$
where ##A \in \mathbb{R}## and ##\eta \in \mathbb{R}##. Then products of two time-like vectors are given as
$$a_1 \cdot a_2 =A_1 A_2 (\cosh \eta_1 \cosh \eta_2 - \sinh \eta_1 \sinh \eta_2)=A_1 A_2 \cosh(\eta_1-\eta_2).$$
For a space-like vector the corresponding parametrization is
$$a=A(\sinh \eta,\cosh \eta) \; \Rightarrow \; a \cdot a=-A^2,$$
and
$$a_1 \cdot a_2 = A_1 A_2 (\sinh \eta_1 \sinh \eta_2-\cosh \eta_1 \cosh \eta_2)=-A_1 A_2\cosh(\eta_1-\eta_2).$$
I think there's no more behind this than this simple math with hyperbolic functions.

For time-like vectors the ##\eta## is called rapidity.

Likes troglodyte and nomadreid
Thank you very much, vanhees71, for that excellent explanation.
Oops, I did not realize I was violating copyright by attaching the file (as it is freely available on the Internet). I have removed it.

I'm not sure, but it looks like a paper from a journal, and then usually you are not allowed to simply share it online. Better remove it, because it can get pretty expensive if the publisher takes legal action.

Likes troglodyte and nomadreid
A comment on the term "hyperbolic geometry" (as in the title and in the tags)...
since searching for "hyperbolic geometry" is not likely to yield useful results for understanding Special Relativity."Hyperbolic geometry" is a non-euclidean geometry that doesn't satisfy the parallel postulate, and is thus a curved space. (For example, some works by Escher.)

The spacetime of Special Relativity is flat---it satisfies the parallel postulate. We can talk about parallel lines.
So, it doesn't have a hyperbolic geometry.

However, the spacetime of special relativity is non-Euclidean
because the "angles" between timelike vectors is based on the unit hyperbola (playing the role of a circle in Minkowski spacetime geometry).
Special Relativity uses "hyperbolic trigonometry".
("Hyperbolic geometry" uses "circular trigonometry" since the angle between lines in hyperbolic geometry is based on a circle.)[In special relativity, "hyperbolic geometry" might be helpful to understand effects like the Thomas procession or velocity-composition in different spatial directions. The 3-dimensional "space of rapidities (which are related to velocities)" and the "mass shell" are hyperboloids and have an intrinsic hyperbolic geometry.]

Last edited:
Likes troglodyte, PeterDonis and vanhees71
Well, and this tells you that you don't deal with angles but with areas, which is why the inverse function of the hyperbolic functions are called area functions (like ##\text{arcosh} x##, ##\text{arsinh x}##, ##\text{artanh} x##).

What these areas have to do with Minkowski spacetime and why it is precisely the spacetime we need to fulfill Einstein's "two postulates", you can read in @robphy 's great Insights Blogs (as well as his papers cited therein):

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/spacetime-diagrams-light-clocks/
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/relativity-rotated-graph-paper/
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/relativity-using-bondi-k-calculus/

Likes troglodyte
vanhees71 said:
Well, and this tells you that you don't deal with angles but with areas, which is why the inverse function of the hyperbolic functions are called area functions (like arcoshxarcoshx\text{arcosh} x, arsinh xarsinh x\text{arsinh x}, artanhxartanhx\text{artanh} x).

In the past year or so,
this "area" (as opposed to "arc[length]") viewpoint of angles (I'll still call it that)
at the level of the inverse-function has been growing on me.

Likes troglodyte and vanhees71

1. What is hyperbolic geometry?

Hyperbolic geometry is a non-Euclidean geometry that describes the properties of space in a curved, saddle-like shape. It is a type of geometry that differs from the familiar Euclidean geometry, which describes the properties of flat space.

2. What is Minkowski space?

Minkowski space is a mathematical model that combines the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time into a single four-dimensional space. It is used in the theory of relativity to describe the relationships between space and time.

3. How is hyperbolic geometry applied in Minkowski space?

In Minkowski space, hyperbolic geometry is used to describe the properties of space-time, particularly in the context of special relativity. It provides a framework for understanding the effects of motion and gravity on the geometry of space-time.

4. What is the significance of the research by Chung et al. on hyperbolic geometry in Minkowski space?

The research by Chung et al. explores the use of hyperbolic geometry in Minkowski space to better understand the properties of space-time and the effects of gravity. This research has implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.

5. How can the findings of this research be applied in other fields?

The findings of this research can potentially be applied in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and general relativity. It may also have practical applications in the design of space-time navigation systems and in the development of new theories and models in physics.