What is the depth of a merged river with given stream dimensions and speeds?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 11K views
mbrmbrg
Messages
486
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Figure 14-43 shows the merging of two streams to form a river. One stream has a width of 9.3 m, depth of 4.3 m, and current speed of 2.5 m/s. The other stream is 6.8 m wide and 4.0 m deep, and flows at 2.7 m/s. The width of the river is 10.2 m, and the current speed is 2.7 m/s. What is its depth?

Homework Equations



[tex]R_v=Av=constant[/tex]

[tex]A_1v_1=A_2v_2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Sure, the rate flow should be constant for an ideal river of varying cross-sectional area, but I don't understand what to do when more fluid is added. Since two streams are merging, do I say that [tex](A_{stream 1})(v_{stream1})+(A_{stream2})(v_{stream2})=(A_{river})(v_{river})[/tex]?
 
Attachments
  • hrw7_14-43.gif
    hrw7_14-43.gif
    47.4 KB · Views: 900
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mbrmbrg said:
Since two streams are merging, do I say that [tex](A_{stream 1})(v_{stream1})+(A_{stream2})(v_{stream2})=(A_{river})(v_{river})[/tex]?
Looks good to me. That's conservation of mass (the continuity equation) in action.