What is the difference between aggregation, nucleation and growth?

In summary, the terms aggregation, nucleation, and growth are all related to crystal formation. Aggregation refers to the process of two or more crystals sticking together, nucleation is the start of crystal formation from a "zero" point, and growth is the gradual increase of crystal size from a non-zero point. Coalescence is another process that may occur in crystal formation, but its exact description is not clear and may involve a softer merging of crystals. This information is based on a study of crystal formation in a non-biological context.
Sciencestd
Im bit confused about what is exactly the difference between the terms, which process every term describes ?

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
aggregation: two or more stick together
nucleation: a start from 'zero'
growth: from non-zero to a little more

We are talking crystals here, I hope ? (i.e. nothing biological :wink: )

Last edited:
Likes Sciencestd and etotheipi
BvU said:
aggregation: two or more stick together
nucleation: a start from 'zero'
growth: from non-zero to a little more

We are talking crystals here, I hope ? (i.e. nothing biological :wink: )
Thank you so much for the answer :) , yes I'm talking about crystals and nothing biological :D
Then the coalescence which process it describes?

A further question ! My answer: don't really know. Didn't encounter it so far. Googled 'crystal coalescence and aggregation' and get the impression coalescence is softer (either it happens in the liquid phase, or comes down to a near perfect match in the early solid phase -- but I speculate)

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1909.00771.pdf

Last edited:
Likes Sciencestd
BvU said:
A further question ! My answer: don't really know. Didn't encounter it so far. Googled 'crystal coalescence and aggregation' and get the impression coalescence is softer (either it happens in the liquid phase, or comes down to a near perfect match in the early solid phase -- but I speculate)

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1909.00771.pdf

The link is really useful thank you :)

1. What is aggregation?

Aggregation is the process by which particles or molecules come together to form larger clusters or aggregates. This can occur through physical interactions such as van der Waals forces or through chemical bonding.

2. What is nucleation?

Nucleation is the initial step in the formation of a new phase or structure. It involves the creation of small clusters or nuclei, which then grow into larger structures through the process of growth.

3. What is growth?

Growth is the process by which particles or structures increase in size through the addition of more molecules or particles. This can occur through diffusion, coalescence, or other mechanisms depending on the system.

4. What is the difference between aggregation and nucleation?

The main difference between aggregation and nucleation is that aggregation involves the coming together of particles or molecules that were already present in the system, while nucleation involves the formation of new particles or clusters. Additionally, aggregation typically occurs in a random manner, while nucleation is a more organized process.

5. How are aggregation, nucleation, and growth related?

Aggregation, nucleation, and growth are all processes that contribute to the formation of larger structures or phases. Aggregation and nucleation are the initial steps, while growth is the subsequent increase in size. These processes are often interconnected and can occur simultaneously in many systems.