1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the difference between 'Physics' and 'Fundamentals of Physics'

1. May 25, 2013 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2013 #2
    According to the book descriptions, "Physics" is suitable for engineers and science majors and "Fundamentals of Physics" is for engineers. So, it sounds like the latter is geared towards more of an applied approach to the material. So, which one is "better" depends entirely on what you wish to get out of it.

4. May 25, 2013 #3

verty

Homework Helper

Is this for self-study? Consider whether it would be better to choose an OCW course and get the textbook, so you have a structured plan and extra assignments and exams to help you.

PS. I mention this because you mentioned suitability for an undergraduate course.

5. May 27, 2013 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I used both these books in high school. IMO "Physics" is way better.

6. May 28, 2013 #5
    I have also used both recently, Krane is more advanced than Walker. So for Undergrad Course (Review Introductory Physics Book) you can go with Resnick, Halliday & Krane Text. (I have its 5th Edition)

7. May 28, 2013 #6
    I'm sure it will tell you in the preface. Each textbook is usually aimed at a particular level. "Fundamental physics" sounds as if it is aimed at teaching the basic classical physics and with simplified examples. The "Physics" textbook could be aimed at ANY level, out of context.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted