What is the different between thin-film PV cell and crystalline silicon PV cell?

  • Thread starter Thread starter linklink
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cell Silicon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
linklink
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
What is the different between thin-film PV cell and crystalline silicon PV cell?
Are they using the same material but just differ in the fabrication process?

Does a multi-junction PV cell belongs to thin-film or crystalline type?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
linklink said:
What is the different between thin-film PV cell and crystalline silicon PV cell?
Are they using the same material but just differ in the fabrication process?

Does a multi-junction PV cell belongs to thin-film or crystalline type?

There certainly is a big difference in fabrication. Can you tell us what that difference is, and what are the tradeoffs in doing it the two different ways?
 
What I know is, for crystalline silicon, we will first make a big pillar of silicon, then cut it into pieces (wafer). Something have to be done to the wafer but I don't know what is it exactly. And finally cut the wafer into small chips.

I totally know nothing about thin-film, but then I guess both of them are using the same material with different production method.
 
linklink said:
What I know is, for crystalline silicon, we will first make a big pillar of silicon, then cut it into pieces (wafer). Something have to be done to the wafer but I don't know what is it exactly. And finally cut the wafer into small chips.

I totally know nothing about thin-film, but then I guess both of them are using the same material with different production method.

Very good. You are on the right track. Please use wikipedia and Google to research this more. Cutting Si wafers from pure crystalline boules gives you what advantages? At what cost?