What is the direction of acceleration and friction in this friction problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter srh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
srh
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have attached a picture. Determine the friction force acting on the block shown when the angle is 30 degrees and P=200 N.


Homework Equations


us=0.3 (static friction)
uk=0.2 (kinetic friction)


The Attempt at a Solution



I set up a free-body diagram w/the 1kN, P, Normal force and frictional force. I was able to solve for both the Normal force and frictional force. I got 326.79N for friction and 966.025 for Normal. I thought I was incorrect because it doesn't fit into the f<=usN
 
Attachments
  • physics.JPG
    physics.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps if you showed your working, we could show you where you've gone wrong...
 
I would draw a better diagram :).

One with acceleration; in which direction is it pointing? Acceleration sets your positives/negatives on the axis on the diagram. The friction; in which way is friction pointing/acting?

After doing such you can do a summination of forces =).