Calculating the waste heat of Carnot engine

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
JoeyBob
Messages
256
Reaction score
29
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
e=1-(Tc/Th)

e=W/Qin

e=(Qin-Qout)/Qout
The answer is 6470 J.

So since I have the two temperatures I could calculate the efficiency. First I convert to kelvin then get an efficiency of 0.35481. Now I can use e=W/Qin to get Qin. I get a value of 10033.54J.

Now I can use e=(Qin-Qout)/Qout to get Qout, the waste heat. I get 7405.9 J.

Overview of calculations:

e=1-(295.66/458.25)=0.35481

Qin=W/e=3560/0.35481=10033.54 J

Qout=Qin/(e+1) = 10033.54/(1.35481) = 7405.9 J but answer is 6470 J.
 
Attachments
  • question.PNG
    question.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 223
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you messed up the algebra. I agree with your number for the efficiency but not with one of your expressions for it. For best results, try solving this without numbers, a recommendation that was made to you before.
You have ##e=1-\dfrac{Q_{out}}{Q_{in}}## and ##e=\dfrac{W}{Q_{in}}##. Can you eliminate ##Q_{in}## and get an expression relating ##Q_{out}## to ##e## and ##W?##
 
kuruman said:
It looks like you messed up the algebra. I agree with your number for the efficiency. Try solving this without numbers, a recommendation that you have so far ignored.
You have ##e=1-\dfrac{Q_{out}}{Q_{in}}## and ##e=\dfrac{W}{Q_{in}}##. Can you eliminate ##Q_{in}## get an expression relating ##Q_{out}## to ##e## and ##W?##

Qin=W/e so

e=1-Qout/(W/e)

e=1-eQout/W

1-e=eQout/W

(1-e)W/e = Qout

(1-0.35481)*3560/0.35481

Youre right, must have messed up my algebra somewhere because this gives the right answer.

Thanks.
 
JoeyBob said:
Youre right, must have messed up my algebra somewhere because this gives the right answer.
It's not the algebra, it's this: e=(Qin-Qout)/Qout.

When Qout = 0 you should expect efficiency of 1. Your expresion does not predict that. That is why I prefer to write it as ##e=1-\dfrac{Q_{out}}{Q_{in}}.## It reduces to 1 when no heat is wasted. I am mentioning this so that you will write the correct expression next time.
 
I would never go to the efficiency to solve this. I would write $$Q_{in}-Q_{out}=W$$ and $$\frac{Q_{in}}{T_{hot}}-\frac{Q_{out}}{T_{cold}}=0$$This is two linear algebraic equations in two unknowns.