What is the Efficiency of a Gas Machine in an A->B->C Change?

  • Thread starter Thread starter the_man
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gas Temperature
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
the_man
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The task is to get Q, that gas has received through A-B-C change?
Second task is to get usefulness of the machine?

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8372/toplinaabc.jpg

Homework Equations



W=pV

The Attempt at a Solution



If I use W=pV i get 0 from A->B so i can't get usefulness. No idea.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To get the heat energy in or out of system one requires the value of the number of moles of gas and the gas constant R or the temperatures at some points on the graph.
 
So from A->B formula is PV=nRT then I get dT=((p2-p1)*v1)/nR?

from B->C formula is W=p2(v2*v1) and with ideal gas dT=(p2(v2-v1))/nR?

But how to get Q from that?
 
the_man said:
So from A->B formula is PV=nRT then I get dT=((p2-p1)*v1)/nR?

from B->C formula is W=p2(v2*v1) and with ideal gas dT=(p2(v2-v1))/nR?

But how to get Q from that?

from A->B formula is PV=nRT then I get dT=((p2-p1)*v1)/nR ...yes

from B->C formula is W=p2(v2*v1) ...replace * by -

dT=(p2(v2-v1))/nR ...yes

To get the heat transfer one can use [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = [itex]\Delta[/itex]Q + [itex]\Delta[/itex]W where U is the internal energy.