What is the electric field 4cm from a uniformly charged plate?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 9K views
roflcopter
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Charge is distributed uniformly on the surface of a large flat plate. The electric field 2cm from the plate is 30 N/C. The electric field 4cm from the plate is:

A. 120 N/C
B. 80 N/C
C. 30 N/C
D. 15 N/C
E. 7.5 N/C

Homework Equations



E=kq/r^2 (possibly)

The Attempt at a Solution



Well, the answer I got was E, 7.5 N/C. I got that by using the above equation, plugging in 30 for E and 2 for r and solving for q. Then, I used that same value of q and the new r to solve for E and got 7.5 N/C. Supposedly the correct answer is C, 30 N/C. I don't understand how they got that though. Why is the E field still the same? Shouldn't it be decreasing with the greater distance?

Anyways, I think I might be wrong because I remembered afterwards that E=kq/r^2 is the E field due to a point charge and not a plate...maybe that's why I got the wrong answer?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
roflcopter said:
... I remembered afterwards that E=kq/r^2 is the E field due to a point charge and not a plate...maybe that's why I got the wrong answer?

I think you are on to something.

What is the field of a sheet of charge?