What is the electric field amplitude 2m from the source

In summary, a 60 W monochromatic point source radiating equally in all directions in a vacuum will have an electric field amplitude of 1.19 W/m2 at a distance of 2m from the source. This can be calculated using the equation I=(1/2)ε0cE^2, where I is the intensity, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, c is the speed of light, and E is the electric field amplitude. Additionally, the relationship between log intensity and log voltage in a potential divider circuit can be expressed as log(y)=nlog(x)+logm, where n is the slope of the line and logm is the y-intercept. This can be simplified to
kingyof2thejring

Homework Statement

A 60 W monochromatic point source is radiating equally in all diresctions in a vacum. What is the electric field amplitude 2m from the source.

Homework Equations

Intensity=Power/(4*Pi*r^2), Intensity proportional to square Amplitude

The Attempt at a Solution

I=1.19 Wm-2 what happens next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use I=(1/2)\epsilonzero c E^2.

Desperate semi related question. If you have a graph of log intensity against log of (voltage across an LDR in a potential divider circuit)
how do you explain the relationship if your resultant is a straight line of -1.7 obviously in the form of y=mx+c
Log(y)= nlog(x) + logm where y is intensity and x is voltage n being -1.7 and logm being y intercept.
im trying to explain the relationship between the two quantities and ... I am stuck if anyone can help me i would very much appreciate it...

hopeless blonde said:
Desperate semi related question. If you have a graph of log intensity against log of (voltage across an LDR in a potential divider circuit)
how do you explain the relationship if your resultant is a straight line of -1.7 obviously in the form of y=mx+c
Log(y)= nlog(x) + logm where y is intensity and x is voltage n being -1.7 and logm being y intercept.
im trying to explain the relationship between the two quantities and ... I am stuck if anyone can help me i would very much appreciate it...

Welcome to PF, hopeless blonde. In future, however, please don't hijack another person's thread with your own question-- instead, start a new thread in the relevant homework section.

With regard to your question, you have an equation of the form logy=nlogx+logm. Now, nlogx can be expressed as log(xn). Do you know a rule for loga+logb?

1. What is an electric field amplitude?

An electric field amplitude is a measure of the strength of an electric field at a specific point in space, usually measured in volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is the electric field amplitude calculated?

The electric field amplitude is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a unit charge at a specific point in space by the magnitude of the charge. This can be expressed as E = F/q, where E is the electric field amplitude, F is the force, and q is the charge.

3. How does the distance from the source affect the electric field amplitude?

The electric field amplitude is inversely proportional to the distance from the source. This means that as the distance from the source increases, the electric field amplitude decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law.

4. What is the significance of the electric field amplitude 2m from the source?

The electric field amplitude at a distance of 2m from the source is a specific point of measurement that is commonly used to determine the strength of the electric field. It is also the distance at which the electric field is strongest, as it follows the inverse square law.

5. How is the electric field amplitude related to electric potential?

The electric field amplitude and electric potential are related by the equation E = -dV/dx, where E is the electric field amplitude and V is the electric potential. This means that the electric field amplitude is the negative gradient of the electric potential, and they both provide information about the strength and direction of the electric field.