1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the electric field around a conducting sphere?

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    Hi all,
    I am having some troubles with some Electromagnetism questions. First of all can someone please explain the basics behind Electric fields. The question asks "What is the electric field around a conducting sphere of radius R carrying a charge Q". Does this imply that because the sphere is conducting that the charge is spread evenly and therefore can be considered as a point charge at the centre of the sphere? Does the use of Gauss's law help to get the correct answer, i.e

E= q/(4 x pi x permittivity of free space x r^2)x the unit vector in the field direction

I am slightly confused about this one.

The next part of the question asks " What is the electric potential at the surface of the sphere if the potential infinately far away is zero". As far as I know the potential is essentially a 'band' where the electric field is constant, so therefore is the electris field at the distance of the sphere, and because infinately far away = zero then at the surface is simply minus the field strength?

Please any explanation would be great. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2
    First part sounds good:

Potential from a point away from infinity is simply:
    [tex]V=\frac{kq}{r}[/tex],

this is indirectly from coulombs law:

[tex]E=\frac{kq}{r^2}[/tex]
    [tex]V=E\cdot r=\frac{kq}{r}[/tex]

where [tex]k=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Does this help you?

Regards,
    Sam

(Sorry about the mistake if anyone read it quick enough)!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  4. Nov 16, 2005 #3
    An important point with this, is to notice that V = E.r (scalar product), is a scalar quantity. I have made many mistakes in the past on this topic thinking that Voltage had a direction (whoops)! :smile:

Note: I've left out the [tex]\cos\theta[/tex], oweing to the fact that the Electric field about a point charge (which this example can be considered), is radial.

Regards,
    Sam

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?