What is the electric field on a thin nonconducting shell

In summary, The electric field at r = 2.43 cm is zero, the electric field at r = 6.61 cm is zero, and the electric field at r = 7.17 cm is 942 N/C.
henrco

Homework Statement

A nonconducting thin spherical shell of radius 6.80 cm has a uniform surface charge density of 9.28 nC/m2.

i) What is the total charge on the shell?
ii) Find the electric field at r = 2.43 cm.
iii) Find the electric field at r = 6.61 cm.
iv) Find the electric field at r = 7.17 cm.
v) Find the electric field at r = 11.3 cm.

Homework Equations

p = Q/V (where p = charge density, Q = total charge and V = volume.

and Guass's law

The Attempt at a Solution

Part i) What is the total charge on the shell? [/B]
To determine the total charge, we have surface charge density of 9.28 nC/m2 and radius of .068m
Convert 9.28nC to C, 9.28x10^-9 and convert radius of 6.8cm to m, .068 m

We will use the equation p = q/V. Rearrange: Q = QV
The surface area of the spherical shell is 4 pi r^2

Q = pV
Q = (9.28 x 10^-9) (4 pi (.068)^2)
Q = 5.39 x 10^-10 C

Part ii) Find the electric field at r = 2.43 cm.
Inside the this spherical shell, the electric field is zero everywhere.

Part iii) Find the electric field at r = 6.61 cm.
Inside the this spherical shell, the electric field is zero everywhere.

iv) Find the electric field at r = 7.17 cm.
The flux through the Gaussian surface again is:

E dA = E (4 pi r ^2)

Applying Guass's law, we can derive this formula.

E = Q / (4 pi Eo r^2) (Where Eo is the permittivity of free space)
E = (5.39 x 10^-10)/ (4 pi Eo (.0717)^2)
E = 942 N/C

iv) Find the electric field at r = 11.3 cm.

E = Q / (4 pi Eo r^2) (Where Eo is the permittivity of free space)
E = (5.39 x 10^-10)/ (4 pi Eo (.113)^2)
E = 379 N/C

As expected a weaker electric field as you go further from the surface of the sphere.

Question : The actual answer is 379.387 etc. However I am reducing the answer to 3 significant figures. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can double check by assuming all the charge is located at a point at the center and computing the electric field of a point charge at the locations of interest.

I'm now sure part i) is correct where the total charge on the thin sphere is Q = 5.39 x 10^-10 C.

But could I please get guidance on if my logic is correct with part ii) with my earlier post.

Solved this in the end. My calculations were all correct.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field created by electrically charged particles. It describes the strength and direction of the force that a charged particle would feel if placed at a particular point in space.

2. How is the electric field on a thin nonconducting shell different from that of a conducting shell?

A thin nonconducting shell does not allow electric charges to move freely, so the electric field on its surface is not affected by the distribution of charges inside the shell. In contrast, a conducting shell allows charges to move freely, so the electric field on its surface is affected by the distribution of charges inside the shell.

3. How is the electric field on a thin nonconducting shell calculated?

The electric field on a thin nonconducting shell is calculated by dividing the total charge on the shell by the area of the shell. This results in a uniform electric field that is perpendicular to the surface of the shell.

4. Does the electric field on a thin nonconducting shell depend on the shape of the shell?

No, the electric field on a thin nonconducting shell does not depend on the shape of the shell. As long as the shell is thin and nonconducting, the electric field will be uniform and perpendicular to the surface.

5. Can the electric field on a thin nonconducting shell be negative?

Yes, the electric field on a thin nonconducting shell can be negative if the charges on the shell are negative. This means that the force on a positively charged particle placed at a point on the shell will be in the opposite direction of the electric field, towards the shell.