What is the electrical potential energy of a triangular charge configuration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter stonecoldgen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    2d Arrays Charge
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
stonecoldgen
Messages
108
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Derive and simplify an expression for the electrical potential energy of the charge configuration. It's an equilateral triangle with charges +q, -q and +q.


Homework Equations


Ep=Kq2/r


The Attempt at a Solution


I know how to do this with squares (it's basically exploding the symmetry). For example in a square there are charges #s1,2,3 and 4. I do the equation with 1 respect to 2,3 and 4. Then with 2 respect to 3 and 4. Finally, 3 respect to 4. I see which terms cancel out, then it's all algebra.

I did this in this triangle, getting -kq2/r as the final expression, which for some reason doesn't convince me (perhaps because it's too simple? lol).

I don't know if in the square you are ''unconsciently'' multiplying by the sin90, therefore I should multiply by sin60 here. If so, is it just multiplying sin60 by each term?

I do know that electrical potential energy is a vector quantity and not a scalar quantity like voltage, right?


Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The potential energy is a scalar quantity. Show your work in detail, please.

ehild
 
Last edited:
stonecoldgen said:

Homework Statement


Derive and simplify an expression for the electrical potential energy of the charge configuration. It's an equilateral triangle with charges +q, -q and +q.


I did this in this triangle, getting -kq2/r as the final expression, which for some reason doesn't convince me (perhaps because it's too simple? lol).

It is correct if you mean the side of the triangle by "r".

ehild