What is the energy released by Tritium when it decays?

In summary, the tritium decay problem involves the transformation of a neutron into a proton, an electron, and a neutrino. The energy released by the decay can be calculated by considering the rest mass energies of the neutron, proton, and electron, but the mass of the neutrino can be neglected. However, it is important to take into account the binding energy of the tritium and helium-3 nuclei in the calculation. The mass of a tritium nucleus and a helium-3 nucleus can be looked up to accurately calculate the energy released by the decay.
SebastianRM
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Summary: The problem states Tritium decay into Helium, an electron and an electron neutrino.

Questions of the problem: a) To write an expression for the single particle transformation that occurs at the nucleus.
to which i wrote: n -> p + e + v
b) Is to calculate the energy released by the decay.
to which I have calculated the rest mass energies for the neutron (939.57MeV), proton(938.28MeV) and electron(0.511MeV). I tried finding the rest mass energy for the neutrino but I was unable to find anything on it. I was able to find that it was believed to be a massless particle, so since its small is so small it "seems" massless, I attempted the a calculation involving energy conservation where: En - Ep -Ee = 0.779 eV
I am unsure about my result and understanding of the problem so I wanted to check with you guys!
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't consider the proton and neutron in isolation, you need the mass of tritium and helium-3.

Neutrino masses are an active field of research and I can't believe you found nothing if you searched. That would mean you didn't even check the Wikipedia article. Anyway, within the scope of this problem you can assume that the neutrino mass is negligible (use 0 for its mass).
SebastianRM said:
En - Ep -Ee = 0.779 eV
That result is wrong, by the way. MeV maybe?

[/QUOTE]
Yeah it was supposed to be MeV. My mistake there.
mfb said:
You can't consider the proton and neutron in isolation, you need the mass of tritium and helium-3.

Neutrino masses are an active field of research and I can't believe you found nothing if you searched. That would mean you didn't even check the Wikipedia article. Anyway, within the scope of this problem you can assume that the neutrino mass is negligible (use 0 for its mass).That result is wrong, by the way. MeV maybe?
I did check several websites including Wikipedia, it states that the mass is less than 0.12 eV/c^2. So since it is not a concrete number and the mass is so small it seems mass less I arrived to the conclusion that perhaps I should not include it in the calculation. Being that it's a small number. But I wanted to be certain about my assumptions.
Yeah my result was meant to be stated in MeV, sorry about that.
Thanks for the help!

SebastianRM said:
Yeah it was supposed to be MeV. My mistake there.
I did check several websites including Wikipedia, it states that the mass is less than 0.12 eV/c^2. So since it is not a concrete number and the mass is so small it seems mass less I arrived to the conclusion that perhaps I should not include it in the calculation. Being that it's a small number. But I wanted to be certain about my assumptions.
Yeah my result was meant to be stated in MeV, sorry about that.
Thanks for the help!
Ok, but did you understand @mfb's point that you cannot use the rest masses of the individual nucleons in the tritium and helium atoms? You need to consider binding energy.

• Informative
Likes SebastianRM and mfb
haruspex said:
Ok, but did you understand @mfb's point that you cannot use the rest masses of the individual nucleons in the tritium and helium atoms? You need to consider binding energy.
I am unsure as to how to apply binding energy since we did not see this in class. I did take his advice into account. But got the same answer in the end.

T -> He-3 + e + v
We can neglect the mass of the neutrino. What is the mass of a tritium nucleus? What is the mass of a He-3 nucleus? You can look these up.

Likes SebastianRM

1. What is Tritium?

Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen with the symbol H-3. It has one proton and two neutrons in its nucleus, making it heavier than the more common form of hydrogen, known as protium.

2. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which unstable atoms, such as Tritium, release energy in the form of radiation in order to become more stable. This can occur through the emission of alpha or beta particles, or through the release of gamma rays.

3. How much energy is released by Tritium when it decays?

The energy released by Tritium when it decays varies depending on the specific decay process and the energy level of the atom. On average, the energy released is around 18.6 keV (kilo electron volts) per decay.

4. Is Tritium's energy release harmful?

The energy released by Tritium when it decays is relatively low and not considered harmful to humans. However, if large amounts of Tritium were to accumulate in the body, it could potentially cause damage to cells and tissues.

5. What is the half-life of Tritium?

The half-life of Tritium is approximately 12.3 years. This means that it takes 12.3 years for half of the initial amount of Tritium in a sample to decay into a more stable form.