1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the equation of this curve?

1. Mar 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let C be the circle with center (a/2, 0) and radius a/2. Let L be the line with equation x=a, find the polar equation of the curve produced in the following manner: FOr every angle [tex]\theta[/tex], -[tex]\pi/2[/tex] <[tex]\theta[/tex] < [tex]\pi/2[/tex], consider the ray from the origin that makes the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the positive x axis. This ray will intersect C at a point A and L at a point B. Let O be the origin. Then the point P on the ray is on the curve if line segment OP = line segment AB.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8910/cireq.jpg [Broken]

If I trace it out, which I did in my example, it begins to look like a centroid. However I don't know how to verify this. I'm not sure exactly how to systematically approach this problem.
    My idea is to break the equation of the resulting curve into two parts: first the length of the segment from the origin to when it hits the boundary of the circle, then the distance from the circle to the vertical line; the resulting curve being the difference between the former and the latter. I believe the distance of the line segment from O to A is simply cos[tex]\theta[/tex]. I'm not sure how I'd express the rest of it though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hints:

What is the equation of the line in polar coordinates: r1 = ?? in terms of θ?

What is the equation of the circle in polar coordinates: r2 = ?? in terms of θ?

Then your curve, in polar equations is r = r1 - r2.

The curve approaches x = a as a vertical asymptote.

4. Mar 14, 2010 #3
    Darn, it's been too long since I've learned about polar coordinates. I know that the equation of the circle in polar coordinates is r=acos[tex]\theta[/tex]. Some research is needed to find a straight line!

Thanks very much for your assistance!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  5. Mar 14, 2010 #4
    Okay, I looked through my old calculus books and have relearned that the equation of a vertical line is a=rcos(theta)

Resulting curve: acos(theta)-asec(theta)

6. Mar 14, 2010 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but you mean r = a sec(theta) - a cos(theta)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook