What is the expectation value of ψ = x3 when 0≤ x ≤a and 0 otherwise?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
leroyjenkens
Messages
621
Reaction score
49

Homework Statement


ψ = x3 when 0≤ x ≤a and 0 otherwise
find <x>

Homework Equations


∫ψ*ψdx=1

The Attempt at a Solution


So first I multiplied x3 times A, to get Ax3, then plugging that into the equation, I get ∫A2x6dx=1
Then I solve that for A, getting A = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{7}{a^{7}}}[/tex]
So I plug that value back into my integral in place of A and since I'm solving for the expectation value <x>, I plug x into that equation too? This is confusing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have succefully normalised the wavefunction: with the A value that you calculated, the (total) probability of finding the particle anywhere is 1.
You still need now to calculate <x> = ∫ψ* x ψ dx .

You should find something between 0 and a, and closed to a than to 0.
 
I'm sort of confused on what to plug in for ψ and ψ* in that equation. Ax3 for both? In that case, I get (7/8)a. That seems a little high. Thanks.