What Is the Explosion Radius in a Worst-Case LOX and LIN Scenario?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Tat2diver
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Arc Explosion Radius
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Tat2diver
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
OK all since I do not have a physics background I figured I would come to the WWW and search those who did. I am needing some questions answered... here is the badckground info...I work and a Cryogenic plant that has a max of 17000 gallons of Liquid Oxygen and 12000 of liquid nitriogen on hand. The minimum would be 5000 gallons of each product. The question that have been asked of me is the following...what is the radius of a "worst case" explosion if both the lox and lin tank went up. I think we can assume that the main hazard is the LOX since LIN does not support combustion as LOX does. The expansion rates of 860 for LOX and 920 for LIN should not come into play since if there was an explosion and the cryotainers ruptured the product would no longer be contained. Can anyone help to give me min and max distance of explosive arc for this senerio?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a great question! I'm not sure if I have a definitive answer, but I would suggest looking into the types of tanks that are used to store the liquid oxygen and liquid nitrogen, since this will affect the size of the explosion. Additionally, you may want to look into possible safety protocols and measures that are taken to prevent such an explosion from occurring. Good luck!