What is the fact of constant of proportionality?

In summary: This constant is called the Coulomb constant and it's defined as: \frac{1}{C^2}. This means that all forces (between particles) are proportional to the charge (or mass) of the particles involved. So, in a way, the Coulomb constant is also a proportionality constant.
Aladin
Its so confusing for me...

in Ohm's law V=IR here V is independent variable and I is dependent variable (i,e increasing V, I also increases) here we place R (proportionality constant) with I (dependent variable).

On the other hand..

in electrostatic force F=k(Qq/r^2 ) here K is constant of proportionality that is written with independent quantity.

Here is also an example:

Q=CV (Q is independent and V is dependent variable) here C (capacitance) is placed with V (dependent variable)

Here is...

R=pL/A (rho is placed with independent quantity)
Please tell me the actual fact of constant of proportionality.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few things I can point out that hopefully makes this a bit clearer. When you have V = IR, you can easily flip that and say I = V/R thus switching where the "proportionality constant" is and the equation works just as well. Now the resistance is paired up with the independent variable. Another important thing is in this case, resistance is not really a proportionality constant in the way it's usually meant. You can in fact vary R so it is more of a parameter. Think of a rheostat. Ohm's law still holds even though you can vary your resistance.

dependent and independent variables are in the eye of the beholder. Proportionality constants aren't variables at all. They're essentially constants put into make the units work. In V=IR none of them are proportionality constants, they're all variables and whether one is independent or dependent depends on what is a function of what in your perspective. The constants of proportionality are things like k (in coloumb's law), kb (boltzmann's constant),etc. Basically these constants make up for the fact that our SI units don't really line up. For example, in coloumb's law we have a force that is a function of C/m^2. However, the unit we picked for force, the Newton, was chosen (and it was chosen, there's no ultimate reason for choosing what our unit of force should be) based on different ground and thus a unit charge (in our arbitrary units of charge) divided by the square of our chosen unit of distance does not correspond to a single unit of force, in our units. So we toss a constant into "map" between our units.

1. What is the constant of proportionality?

The constant of proportionality is a number that relates two quantities that are directly proportional to each other. It is represented by the letter k and is the ratio of the two quantities.

2. How is the constant of proportionality calculated?

The constant of proportionality is calculated by dividing one quantity by the other. For example, if x and y are directly proportional, then k = y/x.

3. What is the relationship between the constant of proportionality and a graph?

The constant of proportionality is represented by the slope of a line on a graph. The steeper the slope, the larger the constant of proportionality is.

4. Can the constant of proportionality change?

Yes, the constant of proportionality can change if the relationship between the two quantities changes. However, if the relationship remains the same, the constant of proportionality will stay constant.

5. How is the constant of proportionality used in real life situations?

The constant of proportionality is used in various fields of science, such as physics and chemistry, to describe the relationship between two quantities. It is also used in everyday situations, such as calculating unit conversions and determining the rate of change in a particular scenario.