What Is the Fastest Way to Cross a Flowing River by Boat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rasen58
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    boat river time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
rasen58
Messages
71
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


How should you travel across a flowing river in a boat to minimize your time of travel?
A) Straight across
B) Slightly upstream
C) Slightly downstream
D) The time will be independent of how you head

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I thought the time would always be independent of the direction because the x distance is constant whichever way you head. I was remembering a kinematics problem that is similar to this and I thought in that problem it didn't matter which way you headed.
But the answer is straight across, and while it makes sense because that is the shortest magnitude of the distance, I thought it would only depend on the horizontal component which is always the same. What am I not seeing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The x component of distance is constant regardless of which way you head. But is the x component of your velocity constant?
 
Why wouldn't it be constant if it's not accelerating in the x direction since its traveling perpendicular to the river current?
 
My apologies for writing confusingly.

The x component of velocity will be constant for any given angle. But it will not be the same for each angle.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: rasen58
Oh I see, I guess that's true. Only if you go straight across will you have the greatest horizontal velocity.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jbriggs444
rasen58 said:
How should you travel across a flowing river
This is quite ambiguous. Does it mean relative to the water (i.e. which way should you point the boat) or relative to the shore?