What is the force at the axis of a rotating rod

In summary, the problem involves a rotating rod of mass m and length l being subjected to a force, and the question is asking for the force acting at the bearing apart from the centrifugal force. The solution involves calculating the moment of inertia and angular acceleration at different points and using the equation M=I\alpha to find the force at those points. The force at point B is found to be F/4.
Karol

Homework Statement

A force is rotating the rod of mass m and length l round it's endpoint, according to drawing.
The force rotates either, so as to simplify the problem.
What force, apart from the one opposed to the centrifugal force, acts at the bearing?

Homework Equations

[tex]M=I\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculate the moment M and moment of inertia I about the rotation point A, then I find the angular acceleration [itex]\alpha[/itex]:

[tex]F\frac{l}{2}=\frac{ml^2}{3}\cdot\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\alpha=\frac{3F}{2ml}[/tex]

I assume I can take any point, calculate the moment of inertia round it, and using, again, equation [itex]M=I\alpha[/itex] and knowing that the angular accelaration [itex]\alpha[/itex] should be the same, I calculate the moment round that point:
I choose point B:

[tex]M=\frac{ml^2}{12}\cdot\frac{3F}{2ml}=\frac{Fl}{8}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow F_{B}=\frac{F}{4}[/tex]

Attachments

• Snap2.jpg
    Snap2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Karol! :smile:

(have an alpha: α :wink:)
Karol said:
I assume I can take any point, calculate the moment of inertia round it, and using, again, equation [itex]M=I\alpha[/itex] and knowing that the angular accelaration [itex]\alpha[/itex] should be the same, I calculate the moment round that point:
I choose point B …

Yes, that's fine, and F/4 is correct (though you needn't actually have found α … you could have used a formula combining the two equations, with no α). :smile:

(Alternatively, you could have used sum of forces = mass times acceleration of centre of mass instead of one of the moment of inertia equations. :wink:)

Thanks again, fish...

1. What is the force at the axis of a rotating rod?

The force at the axis of a rotating rod is the centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its speed squared, divided by the radius of the circle.

2. How is the force at the axis of a rotating rod calculated?

The force at the axis of a rotating rod can be calculated using the formula F = m*v^2/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the relationship between the force at the axis of a rotating rod and the speed of the object?

The force at the axis of a rotating rod is directly proportional to the speed of the object. This means that as the speed of the object increases, the force also increases. This relationship is described by the formula F ∝ v^2, where F is the force and v is the speed.

4. How does the radius of the circular path affect the force at the axis of a rotating rod?

The force at the axis of a rotating rod is inversely proportional to the radius of the circular path. This means that as the radius increases, the force decreases. This relationship is described by the formula F ∝ 1/r, where F is the force and r is the radius.

5. What is the role of the force at the axis of a rotating rod in circular motion?

The force at the axis of a rotating rod is essential for an object to maintain circular motion. Without this force, the object would continue moving in a straight line. It is responsible for keeping the object moving along a curved path and preventing it from flying off in a tangent direction.