1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the formula for this recursive pattern?

1. Mar 22, 2010 #1
    Hey what is the formula for this recursive pattern?

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7528/recursion.jpg [Broken]

It looks shocking & I would bet that there is a name for it.

Perhaps it's a theorem or something?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you want a formula for?
    The sides of the hypothenuses? The area of the triangles? The total area of the first n?

4. Mar 22, 2010 #3
    Sorry, the fact that each hypoteneuse is an interger higher than the last hypoteneuse & that the leg is the previous hypoeneuse.

It's just a crazy pattern that I've never seen before, I seen it in a book and it just looks awesome, is there some explanation?

5. Mar 22, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can find the lengths of successive hypotenuses by using the Pythagorean theorem. If that's what you mean.

6. Mar 22, 2010 #5
    Yeah I know, I do mean that, but it's the kind of thing a number theorist or somebody would make into a theorem (or probably already has).

It's just amazing, I mean look at the pattern that emerges. That thing could probably go on to infinity, sprouting smaller and smaller triangles - kind of like a fractal.

I would have assumed that it is some theorem, or has some special name or something.

Maybe I've just found my own personal Fibonacci sequence :rofl:

___The_Pythagorasequence___

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook