Lagendre Polynomials - using the recursion relation

In summary: Oh...I see that there might be one source of confusion: the question did not say it, but the coefficients ##a_i## also depend on ##p##; that is, ##a_0## is different for different values of ##p##, as is also the case for ##a_1##, etc. So, perhaps the question should really have given the recursion as a_{n+2}(p) = \frac{2(p-n)}{(n+2)(n+1)}a_{n}(p) Harder questions would be: how on Earth did the recursion arise? Who thought of it, and why? But those are outside the actual scope of the question, assuming you
rwooduk
(1) [tex]P_{l}(u)[/tex] is normalised such that [tex]P_{l}(1) = 1[/tex]. Find [tex]P_{0}(u)[/tex] and [tex]P_{2}(u)[/tex]

We have the recursion relation:

[tex]a_{n+2} = \frac{n(n+1) - l(l+1)}{(n+2)(n+1)}a_{n}[/tex]

I'm going to include a second similar question, which I'm hoping is solved in a similar way, so I can relate it to the above question:

(2) Show that the functions [tex]H_{0}(x) = 1[/tex], [tex]H_{1}(x) = 2x[/tex], [tex]H_{2}(x) = 4x^{2} - 2[/tex], [tex]H_{3}(x) = 8x^{3} - 12x[/tex] have coeffiecients that obey the recursion relation

[tex]a_{n+2} = \frac{2(p-n)}{(n+2)(n+1)}a_{n}[/tex]

I have the answer for (2) and it makes no sense to me, i tried to tabulate why:

For P = 0, 1, 2 we have Even [tex]a_{0}[/tex] values of 1, 0, -2 respectively

For P = 0, 1, 2 we have Odd [tex]a_{1}[/tex] values of 0, 2, 0 respectively

And for P = 0, 1, 2 we have n values of 0, 1, 0 respectively

Where do these come from? I've looked for how to solve the above problems, and can't find a step by step example anywhere, it follows no logical pattern.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
##a_0## and ##a_1## are arbitrary constants. The rest of the coefficients can be expressed in terms of them through the recurrence relation. In both of these problems, you're looking for polynomial solutions to the differential equation. That means that the series needs to terminate for some value of ##n##. Looking at the recurrence relation, you can see this will happen when ##p=n##.

Let's consider the case when ##p=2##. The even coefficients will be given by
\begin{eqnarray*}
a_2 &= -\frac{2(2-0)}{(0+2)(0+1)}a_0 = -2a_0 \\
a_4 &= -\frac{2(2-2)}{(2+2)(2+1)}a_2 = 0 \\
a_6 &= -\frac{2(2-4)}{(4+2)(4+1)}a_4 = 0
\end{eqnarray*} (Your recurrence relation has a sign error.) The remaining even coefficients will vanish as well. The odd coefficients will be proportional to ##a_1##, but the series will never terminate because you'll never have ##p=n## because ##p=2## is even while ##n## will always be odd. To avoid an infinite series solution, we set ##a_1=0##.

At this point, we have one polynomial solution, namely ##H_2(x) = a_0 + a_2 x^2 = a_0(1-2x^2)##. What value to choose for ##a_0##? It depends on how you want them normalized.

Likes 1 person
That's a very clear explanation, many thanks!

I'll try work through the questions with this knowledge and see how i do.

Thanks again!

hm why does ##a_{6} = 0## ?

and where does the ##x^{2}## come from?

thanks

Last edited:
Because ##a_4=0##.

vela said:
Because ##a_4=0##.

yep just realized thanks and the ##x^{2}##?

also for p = 1, do i just use odd values of n? n=1 would not be possible, but then for n=3 i get ##a_{5} = \frac{2(1-3)}{(3+2)(3+1)} = \frac{-4}{20}## not sure what to do with that

if possible please could someone do a couple more, i still can't see a logical process :-/

Last edited:
or if someone could direct me to a similar problem somewhere?

rwooduk said:
(1) [tex]P_{l}(u)[/tex] is normalised such that [tex]P_{l}(1) = 1[/tex]. Find [tex]P_{0}(u)[/tex] and [tex]P_{2}(u)[/tex]

[tex]a_{n+2} = \frac{n(n+1) - l(l+1)}{(n+2)(n+1)}a_{n}[/tex]

I'm going to include a second similar question, which I'm hoping is solved in a similar way, so I can relate it to the above question:

(2) Show that the functions [tex]H_{0}(x) = 1[/tex], [tex]H_{1}(x) = 2x[/tex], [tex]H_{2}(x) = 4x^{2} - 2[/tex], [tex]H_{3}(x) = 8x^{3} - 12x[/tex] have coeffiecients that obey the recursion relation

[tex]a_{n+2} = \frac{2(p-n)}{(n+2)(n+1)}a_{n}[/tex]

I have the answer for (2) and it makes no sense to me, i tried to tabulate why:

For P = 0, 1, 2 we have Even [tex]a_{0}[/tex] values of 1, 0, -2 respectively

For P = 0, 1, 2 we have Odd [tex]a_{1}[/tex] values of 0, 2, 0 respectively

And for P = 0, 1, 2 we have n values of 0, 1, 0 respectively

Where do these come from? I've looked for how to solve the above problems, and can't find a step by step example anywhere, it follows no logical pattern.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks.

First of all, spend some time really trying to understand what the problem is asking for; then you can worry about how to solve the problem. As I read it, you have polynomials ##H_p(x)## for ##p = 0,1,2,3,\ldots##, and it looks like:
(1) For even ##p##, ##H_p(x)## contains only the even powers ##x^0 (=1), x^2, \ldots, x^{p-2}, x^p##.
(2) For odd ##p##, ##H_p(x)## contains only the odd powers ##x, x^3, \ldots, x^{p-2}, x^p##
In a court of law you could argue that the question did not contain enough information to allow you to say this with certainty, but more-or-less standard usage and common sense implies it with little room for doubt.

So, you are given a few examples of ##H_p(x)## for small ##p## and are asked to verify that the coefficients obey a certain, given, recursion. What is preventing you from just checking if those coefficients really do obey the recursion?

Oh...I see that there might be one source of confusion: the question did not say it, but the coefficients ##a_i## also depend on ##p##; that is, ##a_0## is different for different values of ##p##, as is also the case for ##a_1##, etc. So, perhaps the question should really have given the recursion as
[tex] a_{n+2}(p) = \frac{2(p-n)}{(n+2)(n+1)}a_{n}(p) [/tex]

Harder questions would be: how on Earth did the recursion arise? Who thought of it, and why? But those are outside the actual scope of the question, assuming you quoted the question accurately.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
First of all, spend some time really trying to understand what the problem is asking for; then you can worry about how to solve the problem. As I read it, you have polynomials ##H_p(x)## for ##p = 0,1,2,3,\ldots##, and it looks like:
(1) For even ##p##, ##H_p(x)## contains only the even powers ##x^0 (=1), x^2, \ldots, x^{p-2}, x^p##.
(2) For odd ##p##, ##H_p(x)## contains only the odd powers ##x, x^3, \ldots, x^{p-2}, x^p##
In a court of law you could argue that the question did not contain enough information to allow you to say this with certainty, but more-or-less standard usage and common sense implies it with little room for doubt.

So, you are given a few examples of ##H_p(x)## for small ##p## and are asked to verify that the coefficients obey a certain, given, recursion. What is preventing you from just checking if those coefficients really do obey the recursion?

Oh...I see that there might be one source of confusion: the question did not say it, but the coefficients ##a_i## also depend on ##p##; that is, ##a_0## is different for different values of ##p##, as is also the case for ##a_1##, etc. So, perhaps the question should really have given the recursion as
[tex] a_{n+2}(p) = \frac{2(p-n)}{(n+2)(n+1)}a_{n}(p) [/tex]

Harder questions would be: how on Earth did the recursion arise? Who thought of it, and why? But those are outside the actual scope of the question, assuming you quoted the question accurately.

Many thanks for the reply! I'm going to give it one last go with all the information presented in this thread (and my lecture notes, which cover more the orthogonality property so aren't that useful) and see where I get with it. Least I now understand where the x comes from in the solution!

Thanks again for all the help!

update: finally figured this out!

i also found a very useful video for those interested:

start at 12:50 to relate to op

Last edited by a moderator:

What are Lagendre Polynomials?

Lagendre Polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are used in mathematical physics and engineering. They are named after the French mathematician, Adrien-Marie Legendre.

What is the recursion relation for Lagendre Polynomials?

The recursion relation for Lagendre Polynomials is Pn+1(x) = ((2n+1)xPn(x) - nPn-1(x))/(n+1), where Pn(x) is the nth Lagendre Polynomial.

How do you use the recursion relation to calculate Lagendre Polynomials?

To use the recursion relation, you start with the known values for P0(x) and P1(x). Then, using the formula, you can calculate P2(x), P3(x), and so on. This can continue until you reach the desired degree of the polynomial.

What are the applications of Lagendre Polynomials?

Lagendre Polynomials have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to solve differential equations, approximate functions, and in numerical analysis methods such as Fourier series and finite element analysis.

What are the properties of Lagendre Polynomials?

Some important properties of Lagendre Polynomials include orthogonality, recurrence relations, and Rodrigues' formula. They also have a symmetric shape around the y-axis and have roots at x = -1, 1. Additionally, they have a maximum degree of n and can be normalized to have a leading coefficient of 1.