Finding the projection of a Vector

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible mistake in a highlighted formula and the confusion between a vector unit and imaginary unit. The person is seeking confirmation and mentions the need for a better resource if there is indeed a mistake.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Kindly see attached.
Relevant Equations
vector knowledge
I am looking at this now; pretty straightforward as long as you are conversant with the formula: anyway i think there is a mistake on highlighted i.e
1689563985799.png
1689564008049.png
Ought to be

##-\dfrac{15}{37}(i+6j)##

just need a confirmation as at times i may miss to see something. If indeed its a mistake then its time to look for a better resource.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##1(3) + 6(-2) = 3 - 12 = -9##

Note the negative sign out front of the fraction.

-Dan

Likes chwala
Maybe you are confusing a vector unit ##\mathbf{i}## with imaginary unit i.

Likes chwala
topsquark said:
##1(3) + 6(-2) = 3 - 12 = -9##

Note the negative sign out front of the fraction.

-Dan
but

##\vec u= -i+4j+3k##

aaaaaargh let me take a break...thanks man.

anuttarasammyak said:
Maybe you are confusing a vector unit ##\mathbf{i}## with imaginary unit i.
Actually, i was looking at the wrong question...you realise that i have posted a: question which is referenced to a totally different solution i.e b: solution.

What is a vector projection?

A vector projection is a mathematical operation that involves finding the component of one vector that lies in the direction of another vector. It is useful in physics and engineering applications, such as calculating the force of an object in a certain direction.

How do you find the projection of a vector onto another vector?

To find the projection of a vector onto another vector, you can use the dot product. First, find the dot product of the two vectors. Then, divide this result by the magnitude of the second vector. Finally, multiply this result by the second vector to find the projection.

What is the difference between vector projection and scalar projection?

The vector projection gives the actual vector component of one vector onto another, while the scalar projection gives the magnitude of this component. In other words, the vector projection includes both direction and magnitude, while the scalar projection only gives the magnitude.

What is the purpose of finding the projection of a vector?

The projection of a vector is useful for solving problems involving vectors in physics and engineering. It allows us to break down a vector into its components and determine the influence of one vector on another in a specific direction.

Can you find the projection of a vector onto a non-unit vector?

Yes, you can find the projection of a vector onto a non-unit vector. However, it is important to note that the projection will be different depending on the magnitude of the second vector. If the second vector is a unit vector, the projection will be the same as the component of the first vector in that direction.