What is the frequency of a SHM with a given time period?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Boden1563
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Maximum Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Boden1563
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


SHM graph with displacement/time as the axes. Initial displacement is 0.05m and the time period is 1.2seconds. What is the maximum velocity?

Homework Equations


Just want this section please so I can complete the question by myself.

The Attempt at a Solution



N/A
 
Physics news on Phys.org
f = 1/T ? What would that produce? Let the units help you define the equation. You are trying to calculate a velocity, that requires the equation to produce units in m/s.

Thanks
Matt
 
Yeah that was a bit of a brain-fart, since then I have altered the initial post. I know I need displacement and time to give me a speed but surely its not as simple as d/t to give me 'maximum' speed.

thanks

Alex
 
How does the displacement of the object vary with time?
All you have to do then, is to differentiate the expression to obtain a similar one for the object's velocity.
 
Boden1563,

Do you know how to calculate the frequency from the given value of the period?

Thanks
Matt