What Is the Frequency of the Voltage Source in an LRC Series AC Circuit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Fisicks
Messages
84
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An ac voltage source is connected in series with a 1 uF capacitor and a 750 ohm resistor. The amplitude of the voltage source is measured to be 4V rms while the voltages across the resistor and across the capacitor are 3V rms and 2.7V rms respectively. Determine the frequency of the voltage source.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

I said that the current going through the resistor is 250, and then Z=(750^2 + (1/wC)^2)^1/2. So i let 4/250=Z but this isn't right, where am i going wrong?

Thanks guys
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is just an RC circuit (no inductor). Anyway, one the problems I can see with your calculations is that if

VR = IZR = IR,

Then I = VR/R = 3 Vrms / 750 ohm = 4 mArms

not 250 A.
 
Fisicks said:
Ok, so I would do 4/(4x10^-3)=Z then?

It should work. Did you try it? Based on your first post, it seems like you know what the correct answer is supposed to be.