1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Setting up an LRC series circuit with coupled coils

1. Feb 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have been trying to set up an LRC series circuit where in place of an inductor we have a pair of coupled coils. My aim is to determine the resonant frequency in the circuit when the voltage across the resistor or the current in the circuit is at a maximum. I am using a function generator to create a sinusoidal function through the first coil which in turn will create an emf through the second coil placed inside the first. I am then trying to display the resulting waveform on an oscilloscope display along with the input. I am using the second coils dimensions to calculate a theoretical inductor value but I am having trouble correctly connecting the circuit up.

I have connected what I thought was correct but am confused as to how to incorporate the ground from the function generator. Normally I would connect the resistor to the negative (ground) output of the function generator but how do I do that with the coupled coils present?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Could you set up a diagram and post it ? Much easier to comment on... Something like this ?

upload_2015-2-10_0-21-33.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted