In summary, the conversation is about setting up an LRC series circuit with coupled coils instead of an inductor. The goal is to find the resonant frequency when the voltage across the resistor or the current in the circuit is at a maximum. The person is using a function generator to create a sinusoidal function through the first coil, which will induce an emf in the second coil. They are having trouble connecting the circuit correctly and are unsure how to incorporate the ground from the function generator with the coupled coils present. They request a diagram for clarification.
J_M_R

Homework Statement

I have been trying to set up an LRC series circuit where in place of an inductor we have a pair of coupled coils. My aim is to determine the resonant frequency in the circuit when the voltage across the resistor or the current in the circuit is at a maximum. I am using a function generator to create a sinusoidal function through the first coil which in turn will create an emf through the second coil placed inside the first. I am then trying to display the resulting waveform on an oscilloscope display along with the input. I am using the second coils dimensions to calculate a theoretical inductor value but I am having trouble correctly connecting the circuit up.

I have connected what I thought was correct but am confused as to how to incorporate the ground from the function generator. Normally I would connect the resistor to the negative (ground) output of the function generator but how do I do that with the coupled coils present?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you set up a diagram and post it ? Much easier to comment on... Something like this ?

upload_2015-2-10_0-21-33.png

What is an LRC series circuit?

An LRC series circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series. This circuit is commonly used in electronics to control the flow of electricity and create specific functions.

What are coupled coils in an LRC series circuit?

Coupled coils, also known as mutual inductors, are two or more inductors that are connected together and share a common magnetic field. In an LRC series circuit, coupled coils are used to create a stronger inductance and control the flow of electricity.

How do I set up an LRC series circuit with coupled coils?

To set up an LRC series circuit with coupled coils, you will need to connect the resistor, inductor, and capacitor in series, and then connect the coupled coils to the circuit. The coils should be connected in series with the inductor and in parallel with the capacitor. It is important to follow the correct polarity and make sure all connections are secure.

What are the advantages of using a coupled coil in an LRC series circuit?

The use of coupled coils in an LRC series circuit allows for greater control over the flow of electricity and can create a stronger inductance. This can be beneficial for reducing interference and creating more precise functions in electronic devices.

What are some common applications of LRC series circuits with coupled coils?

LRC series circuits with coupled coils are commonly used in a variety of electronic devices, including radio transmitters, power supplies, and amplifiers. They are also used in scientific research and experiments to study the behavior of electricity and electromagnetic fields.