Difference voltage in LRC-series

In summary: The voltage supplied by the transformer is 2 V. The voltage across each component is also 2 V. The difference between the voltages is 1.18 V.
Pietervv

Homework Statement

Our setup:
Connect the transformer to an LRC-series circuit(L= 2mH with iron core,C=1mF and R=10Ω). Use the 2V and 6V outputs of the transformer, the effective voltage supplied by the transformer will then be 2 V.

Use the digital multimeter to measure the effective voltages(Vob) across the LRC-series, and the voltage across each component. Compare Vr+Vc+Vl with Vob. Qualitatively explain the difference.

Well our measured Vob was close to 2V ofcourse:2,07V
Vr=1,85V
Vc=0,68V
Vl=0,72V

So the sum of al the voltages across the components is 3.25V.

So a difference of 1,18V

So my question is how to qualitatively explain the difference

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i though the causes are Dielectic losses and losses by hysteresis, but i am not sure about that and i can't argue why these losses will increase the voltage of the components.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pietervv said:

Homework Statement

Our setup:
Connect the transformer to an LRC-series circuit(L= 2mH with iron core,C=1mF and R=10Ω). Use the 2V and 6V outputs of the transformer, the effective voltage supplied by the transformer will then be 2 V.

Use the digital multimeter to measure the effective voltages(Vob) across the LRC-series, and the voltage across each component. Compare Vr+Vc+Vl with Vob. Qualitatively explain the difference.

Well our measured Vob was close to 2V ofcourse:2,07V
Vr=1,85V
Vc=0,68V
Vl=0,72V

So the sum of al the voltages across the components is 3.25V.

So a difference of 1,18V

So my question is how to qualitatively explain the difference

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i though the causes are Dielectic losses and losses by hysteresis, but i am not sure about that and i can't argue why these losses will increase the voltage of the components.
Are you sure about adding the voltages algebraically? Are they in phase?? Use AC fundamentals..

Last edited:
It is not clear how using the 2 V and 6 V outputs of the transformer will yield an effective output of 2 V. What aren't you telling us about the transformer setup?

What is the frequency of the voltage source supplying the transformer? It can be location dependent (e.g. European versus North American power standards).

1. What is difference voltage in LRC-series?

Difference voltage in LRC-series refers to the potential difference or voltage drop across the resistor component in a series circuit consisting of a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C).

2. How is difference voltage calculated in LRC-series?

The difference voltage in LRC-series can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that the voltage (V) is equal to the product of the current (I) and the resistance (R). In this case, the resistance would be the value of the resistor (R) in the circuit.

3. What is the significance of difference voltage in LRC-series?

The difference voltage in LRC-series is significant because it helps to determine the behavior of the circuit. It can indicate whether the circuit is in a state of resonance, where the voltage across the resistor is at its minimum, or in a state of maximum impedance, where the voltage across the resistor is at its maximum.

4. How does the difference voltage change in LRC-series when the frequency is varied?

As the frequency of the circuit changes, the difference voltage in LRC-series also changes. At the resonant frequency, the voltage across the resistor is at its minimum, while at frequencies above or below the resonant frequency, the voltage increases.

5. What factors can affect the difference voltage in LRC-series?

Several factors can affect the difference voltage in LRC-series, including the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor, the frequency of the circuit, and any external forces or disturbances. These factors can alter the behavior of the circuit and therefore affect the difference voltage.