1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference voltage in LRC-series

1. Jun 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Our setup:
    Connect the transformer to an LRC-series circuit(L= 2mH with iron core,C=1mF and R=10Ω). Use the 2V and 6V outputs of the transformer, the effective voltage supplied by the transformer will then be 2 V.

Use the digital multimeter to measure the effective voltages(Vob) across the LRC-series, and the voltage across each component. Compare Vr+Vc+Vl with Vob. Qualitatively explain the difference.

Well our measured Vob was close to 2V ofcourse:2,07V
    Vr=1,85V
    Vc=0,68V
    Vl=0,72V

So the sum of al the voltages across the components is 3.25V.

So a difference of 1,18V

So my question is how to qualitatively explain the difference

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i though the causes are Dielectic losses and losses by hysteresis, but i am not sure about that and i can't argue why these losses will increase the voltage of the components.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2015 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Are you sure about adding the voltages algebraically? Are they in phase?? Use AC fundamentals..

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  4. Jun 4, 2015 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It is not clear how using the 2 V and 6 V outputs of the transformer will yield an effective output of 2 V. What aren't you telling us about the transformer setup?

What is the frequency of the voltage source supplying the transformer? It can be location dependent (e.g. European versus North American power standards).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted