Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the general boundary condition of wave-guides?

1. Feb 3, 2015 #1
    By wave-guides I refer to the device with (perfectly) conducting walls that enclose EM wave inside. I'm reading this tutorial here http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node105.html and found this interesting boundary condition for wave-guides:

##E_{\parallel} = 0## -- (1)

##B_{\perp} = 0## -- (2)

however what anchor ##\parallel## and ##\perp## are respecting is not mentioned in the tutorial but I suppose that it's the wall of wave-guide (please correct me if I get it wrong). By the way the tutorial assumes that the wave-guide is guiding the EM wave to propagate along the z-axis but the geometry of the cross-section is NOT specified.

My question is, are (1) and (2) the general boundary conditions for wave-guides? If so why isn't ##E_{\perp}## or ##B_{\parallel}## taken into consideration? I drew some pill-boxes but unfortunately I didn't come up with a convincing answer for myself.

In an engineering textbook I only learned to solve equations for rectangular wave-guide (with cross-section ##x \in [0, a], y \in [0, b]##) like assuming that the wave is propagating along the z-axis and ##E_z = 0## for TE wave and ##B_z=0## for TM wave then apply "separate variable" assumption to solve the rest of the unknowns.

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, those refer to the components of the E wave parallel and the B wave perpendicular to the wave guide. At the walls of the guide, those components must be 0.

4. Feb 4, 2015 #3
    @HallsofIvy , thanks for the reply. So do conditions (1) & (2) hold for all shapes of wave-guides when the wall is (nearly) perfect conductor (i.e. the skin-depth of the propagating wave is much less than the thickness of wall) ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook