What is the general boundary condition of wave-guides?

In summary, the boundary conditions for wave-guides with perfectly conducting walls are that the component of the E wave parallel to the wall must be 0, and the component of the B wave perpendicular to the wall must also be 0. These conditions hold for all shapes of wave-guides as long as the skin-depth of the propagating wave is much less than the wall thickness. The geometry of the cross-section affects the form of the equations and the type of solutions, with different shapes resulting in different equations and solutions.
genxium
By wave-guides I refer to the device with (perfectly) conducting walls that enclose EM wave inside. I'm reading this tutorial here http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node105.html and found this interesting boundary condition for wave-guides:

##E_{\parallel} = 0## -- (1)

##B_{\perp} = 0## -- (2)

however what anchor ##\parallel## and ##\perp## are respecting is not mentioned in the tutorial but I suppose that it's the wall of wave-guide (please correct me if I get it wrong). By the way the tutorial assumes that the wave-guide is guiding the EM wave to propagate along the z-axis but the geometry of the cross-section is NOT specified.

My question is, are (1) and (2) the general boundary conditions for wave-guides? If so why isn't ##E_{\perp}## or ##B_{\parallel}## taken into consideration? I drew some pill-boxes but unfortunately I didn't come up with a convincing answer for myself.

In an engineering textbook I only learned to solve equations for rectangular wave-guide (with cross-section ##x \in [0, a], y \in [0, b]##) like assuming that the wave is propagating along the z-axis and ##E_z = 0## for TE wave and ##B_z=0## for TM wave then apply "separate variable" assumption to solve the rest of the unknowns.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
genxium said:
By wave-guides I refer to the device with (perfectly) conducting walls that enclose EM wave inside. I'm reading this tutorial here http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node105.html and found this interesting boundary condition for wave-guides:

##E_{\parallel} = 0## -- (1)

##B_{\perp} = 0## -- (2)

however what anchor ##\parallel## and ##\perp## are respecting is not mentioned in the tutorial but I suppose that it's the wall of wave-guide (please correct me if I get it wrong).
Yes, those refer to the components of the E wave parallel and the B wave perpendicular to the wave guide. At the walls of the guide, those components must be 0.

By the way the tutorial assumes that the wave-guide is guiding the EM wave to propagate along the z-axis but the geometry of the cross-section is NOT specified.

My question is, are (1) and (2) the general boundary conditions for wave-guides? If so why isn't ##E_{\perp}## or ##B_{\parallel}## taken into consideration? I drew some pill-boxes but unfortunately I didn't come up with a convincing answer for myself. The component of B parallel and of E perpendicular to the walls of the guide are not affected by the guide.

In an engineering textbook I only learned to solve equations for rectangular wave-guide (with cross-section ##x \in [0, a], y \in [0, b]##) like assuming that the wave is propagating along the z-axis and ##E_z = 0## for TE wave and ##B_z=0## for TM wave then apply "separate variable" assumption to solve the rest of the unknowns.
And you got "sine" and "cosine" functions, right? The form of the equations and the
type of solutions are heavily affected by the geometry. For example, with a cylindrical wave guide, you could expect to get "Bessel's equation" for r and Bessel functions as solutions.

Any help would be appreciated :)

@HallsofIvy , thanks for the reply. So do conditions (1) & (2) hold for all shapes of wave-guides when the wall is (nearly) perfect conductor (i.e. the skin-depth of the propagating wave is much less than the thickness of wall) ?

1. What is the purpose of a boundary condition in wave-guides?

The boundary condition in wave-guides serves as a restriction that must be satisfied by the solution of a wave equation at the interface between two different media. It ensures that the wave behaves correctly at the interface and allows for the propagation of the wave through the wave-guide.

2. What are the types of boundary conditions in wave-guides?

There are two main types of boundary conditions in wave-guides: Dirichlet boundary conditions and Neumann boundary conditions. Dirichlet boundary conditions specify the values of the wave function at the boundary, while Neumann boundary conditions specify the values of the derivative of the wave function at the boundary.

3. How do boundary conditions affect the behavior of waves in a wave-guide?

The boundary conditions significantly influence the behavior of waves in a wave-guide. They determine the allowed modes of propagation, the frequencies at which the waves can propagate, and the amplitudes of the waves. They also affect the reflection and transmission of waves at the interface between two media.

4. Are boundary conditions the same for all types of wave-guides?

No, the boundary conditions may vary depending on the type of wave-guide. For example, the boundary conditions for electromagnetic waves in a rectangular wave-guide are different from those for acoustic waves in a cylindrical wave-guide. It is essential to understand the specific boundary conditions for each type of wave-guide to accurately model and analyze wave behavior.

5. Can boundary conditions be changed in a wave-guide?

Yes, boundary conditions can be modified in a wave-guide. This can be achieved by altering the geometry of the wave-guide or changing the properties of the media at the interface. By changing the boundary conditions, the behavior of waves in the wave-guide can be manipulated, allowing for the design of specific wave-guide systems for various applications.