What is the gravitational acceleration constant of Oz?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SPH4U
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
SPH4U
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Lindsay was on her way to visit her grandmother in Kansas when suddenly a tornado picked her up and transported her to Oz. While standing beside a 198m cliff, she dropped a yellow brick over the side. It has a mass of 1.9Kg. As it was plummeting to the ground, she decided to time the last 50m of its fall. She measured 1.5s on her stop watch. She later impressed the wizard by correctly calculating the gravitational acceleration constant of Oz. What was it?

Homework Equations



d = V1t + 0.5(a)(t)^2
d = V2t - 0.5(a)(t)^2

d[total] = 198m
d[timed] = 50m
m[timed] = 1.9Kg
t = 1.5s


The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to use all the equations I know, but I'm always missing one variable to complete it. Could you guys help me out and give me a starting point so I can finish it? Greatly appreciated.

lewl'.JPG
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Fill in the blanks:

First postion: d = ?; time = t
Second position: d = 198 m; time = t + 1.5 s
 
Thanks Al, so far, I got this:

d=v1t+0.5(a)(t)^2
198m=(0.5)(a)(t+1.5)^2
198m=(0.5)(a)(t^2+3t+2.25)

Where do you go from there? It looks like I need another hint.

Factoring that quadratic gives me a double zero at -1.5, what does that mean?

I was thinking... 0=(0.5)(a)((2x+3)^2)-198m, but it doesn't make sense.
 
SPH4U said:
d=v1t+0.5(a)(t)^2
198m=(0.5)(a)(t+1.5)^2
198m=(0.5)(a)(t^2+3t+2.25)
That describes the second point. You also need an equation describing the first point.

Then you'll have two equations and two unknowns.