Velocity, displacement and position time graph help

In summary: S=ut= 50*t)In summary, the cyclist traveled east for 100m with a constant velocity of 25 m/s. She then accelerated down a hill, reaching the bottom after 5 seconds with a velocity of 50 m/s. a) The cyclist rode for 4 seconds before reaching the hill. b) Her average acceleration down the hill was 5 m/s^2. c) The distance she traveled down the hill was 187.5 m. d) If she continued to ride with a constant velocity for
alicia113
Velocity, displacement and position time graph help!

cyclist road east for 1.0x10^2 m with a constant velocity of 25 m/s she then accelerates down a hill and 5s later reached the bottom of the hill with a velocity of 50m/s

a) how long did the cyclist ride before reaching the hill?
B)what is her average acceleration down the hill?
C)what was the distance she traveled down the hill?
D)if she continued to ride with a constant velocity for 5s how far beyond the hill would she travel
E) sketch a position, displacement, and velocity time graph (scaled)

So here in go

A) 100/25=4s
B) (50-25)/5 = 5m/s^2
C)0.5(50+25)(5)= 187.5 m
D)5x50=250m
E)??

I have no idea how to draw anything. All I knew is time is on the horizantle axis and (m) is on the verticle axis ! Please someone help me

Physics news on Phys.org

alicia113 said:
cyclist road east for 1.0x10^2 m with a constant velocity of 25 m/s she then accelerates down a hill and 5s later reached the bottom of the hill with a velocity of 50m/s

a) how long did the cyclist ride before reaching the hill?
B)what is her average acceleration down the hill?
C)what was the distance she traveled down the hill?
D)if she continued to ride with a constant velocity for 5s how far beyond the hill would she travel
E) sketch a position, displacement, and velocity time graph (scaled)

So here in go

A) 100/25=4s
B) (50-25)/5 = 5m/s^2
C)0.5(50+25)(5)= 187.5 m
D)5x50=250m
E)??

I have no idea how to draw anything. All I knew is time is on the horizantle axis and (m) is on the verticle axis ! Please someone help me

Hello alicia113, you are free to chose axis when you drawing something. But you're right the most convenient is draw a time axis horizontally.

Since you know all the variables you can simply write an equations and sketch them, I'l put you on the right track. Let's start velocity, for the first 5 seconds the cyclist was riding with constant velocity of v=5m/s. During the next 5 seconds she accelerated, and we can write such equation, since we know the acceleration - 5 m/s^2, So between 5 and 10 seconds v = 25 + 5t, and after that she was driving with constant v = 50 m/s velocity.

So.
between 0-5 seconds draw v = 25 m/s
between 5-10 seconds draw v = 25+ 5t and
between 5-beyond draw v = 50 m/s

Sorry for the edits I miss read the problem earlier.

between 0-5 seconds draw v = 25 m/s
between 5-10 seconds draw v = 25+ 5t and
between 5-beyond draw v = 50 m/s

I believe that should be...

between 0-4 seconds draw v = 25 m/s, position increasing from 0 to 100m

between 4-9 seconds draw v = 25+ 5t (from v=u+at). Position will increase from 100m according to S=ut=0.5at2

Last edited:

Related to Velocity, displacement and position time graph help

1. What is the difference between velocity, displacement, and position?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving and in what direction. Displacement is the change in an object's position from its starting point to its ending point. Position is the location of an object at a specific point in time.

2. How do you calculate velocity from a position-time graph?

To calculate velocity from a position-time graph, you can find the slope of the line connecting two points on the graph. The slope is equal to the change in position (displacement) divided by the change in time. This will give you the average velocity over that time interval.

3. What does a flat line on a velocity-time graph represent?

A flat line on a velocity-time graph represents a constant velocity. This means that the object is moving at the same speed and in the same direction over time.

4. How can you determine an object's acceleration from a velocity-time graph?

An object's acceleration can be determined by finding the slope of the velocity-time graph. The slope is equal to the change in velocity divided by the change in time. This will give you the average acceleration over that time interval.

5. How are displacement and distance different?

Displacement and distance are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Displacement is the straight-line distance from an object's starting point to its ending point, while distance is the total length traveled by the object regardless of direction.