What is the half-life of Iodine-131?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Coco12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Logarithmic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Coco12
Messages
272
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


0ops.. The title should read solving logs..
Mod note: Fixed.

the original dosage contains 280 MBq of Iodine-131. If none is lost from the body, then after 6 hr there are 274 MBq of iodine-131. What is the half life of iodine I-131?

Homework Equations



Logcx=y

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to put
274=280(1/2)^t/6 in and solve for t. But now I know it can't be right because it is not halving every 6 hrs.. However I don't know how you would figure it out. Can someone give me a hint?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The concentration varies with time according to the equation [itex]I=I_0e^{-kt}[/itex], where k is a constant that you need to determine from the data: -kt = ln(I/I0). Once k is known, find the time at which I is equal to half of I0: -kt1/2=ln(1/2)
 
Coco12 said:

Homework Statement


0ops.. The title should read solving logs..
Mod note: Fixed.

the original dosage contains 280 MBq of Iodine-131. If none is lost from the body, then after 6 hr there are 274 MBq of iodine-131. What is the half life of iodine I-131?

Homework Equations



Logcx=y

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to put
274=280(1/2)^t/6 in and solve for t. But now I know it can't be right because it is not halving every 6 hrs.. However I don't know how you would figure it out. Can someone give me a hint?

Put ##D = D_0 (1/2)^{t/c},## where ##D =## dosage after t hours, ##D_0 = ## initial dosage (at t = 0) and ##c## is a constant. You are given ##D_0 = 280##, and at t = 6 you have ##D = 274##. You have enough information to find ##c##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Coco12 said:

Homework Statement


0ops.. The title should read solving logs..
Mod note: Fixed.

the original dosage contains 280 MBq of Iodine-131. If none is lost from the body, then after 6 hr there are 274 MBq of iodine-131. What is the half life of iodine I-131?

Homework Equations



Logcx=y

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to put
274=280(1/2)^t/6 in and solve for t. But now I know it can't be right because it is not halving every 6 hrs.. However I don't know how you would figure it out. Can someone give me a hint?

The radioactivity will follow the decay law 280*(1/2)^(t/k). k is the half life. You want to solve for k, not put k=6.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
Put ##D = D_0 (1/2)^{t/c},## where ##D =## dosage after t hours, ##D_0 = ## initial dosage (at t = 0) and ##c## is a constant. You are given ##D_0 = 280##, and at t = 6 you have ##D = 274##. You have enough information to find ##c##.

Thank you!