1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about the Differential Equation (Dacay)

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    The half-life of a radioactive isotope is the amount of time it takes for a quantity
    of radioactive material to decay to one-half of its original amount.
    i) The half-life of Carbon 14 (C-14) is 5230 years. Determine the decay-rate
    parameter  for C − 14.
    ii)The half-life of Iodine 131 (I-131) is 8 days. Determine the decay-rate param-
    eter for I − 131.

2. Relevant equations

dx/dt = -bx where b is a constant

3. The attempt at a solution

i) let x(t) be the quantity of radionactuve meterial at time t in year and dx/dt be the rate of change of the quantity.

dx/dt = -bx where b is a constant

I dun no how to process after doing this assumption. Please help to give some hints on doing these questions. Many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2
    Let's let [itex]t_{1/2}=5230\,\text{yr}[/itex] be the half-life of C-14. What does this mean? Well, if at some initial time [itex]t_0[/itex] the total quantity of C-14 is [itex]x_0=x(t_0)[/itex], then after an additional time [itex]t_{1/2}[/itex] the amount of carbon remaining is [itex]x_0/2[/itex]; algebraically, [itex]x(t_0+t_{1/2})=x_0/2[/itex].

The decay constant [itex]\lambda[/itex], instead of specifying how long it takes for the quantity to halve, tells you the rate of change of the percent change in quantity. That's a mouthful. So, what does that mean? Well, consider the same quantities [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]t_0[/itex] as before. How much carbon is left after an infinitesimal time [itex]dt[/itex]? Let's go take a look at our (verbal) definition for the decay constant: "percent change in quantity" means [itex]dx/x(t)[/itex] (remember that [itex]dx=x(t+dt)-x(t)[/itex]), and the "rate of change" of this is [itex][dx/x(t)]/dt[/itex]. Thus, the decay constant is given algebraically by
    [tex]\lambda=-\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{1}{x(t)}.[/tex]​

Can you think of a way of incorporating these to find [itex]\lambda[/itex] for C-14?

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    t0 =0, x0 = 0
    When t = 5230, then I dun no how to find the X=???
    then can't find the lambda?

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Starting with dx/dt = -bx, "separate" the variables by separating the derivative into differentials: dx= -bx dt so dx/x= -bdt. Integrate both sides: [itex]\int dx/x= -b\int dt[/itex].

6. Dec 6, 2009 #5
    that means lambda is dx/dt, right?

As u said, I do the calculation and find the follow
    ln|x| = -bt +C where C is a constant

then what should I do?

Can u explain more details?

7. Dec 6, 2009 #6
    Why do you think that x0=0?

8. Dec 7, 2009 #7
    I think if the time is zero, there is no decay so x is equal to ZERO

9. Dec 7, 2009 #8
    Ahah! There's your problem. The value x measures the quantity remaining, not the quantity which has been removed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook